Who likes snakes?

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
And what is the most interesting one that you've ever seen?

A couple of years ago I caught a tree snake in our yard. It was pencil thin and the most beautiful shade of emerald green. It wasn't aggressive in the least. I had to show it to the family and even the non snake ones were amazed at the coloring of it.

The snake you describe is probably the smooth green snake (Opheodrys vernalis). Google the Latin/scientific name and the common name and you'll see photos.

I love snakes. In my work as a gardener, I usually see at least a couple of them each week, usually garter snakes. The coolest snake encounter I had (besides working with pythons and boas when I was an educator at a science museum), was one time when I was riding my horse across an open, dry area with aspen trees and scrub. Out of "nowhere," a huge black racer went zipping by, went to one of the aspens, and scooted up that tree in the blink of an eye! It had to have been 6' long and as thick as my wrist. But it moved so rapidly across the ground, and spiralled up the tree. Just breathtaking.

They don't call them "black racers" for nothing!

Back
Top Bottom