Who says button quail aren't useful/practical?

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I saved up about 4 dozen button quail eggs, which took about 8 or 9 days.

I boiled them the other night, then peeled them. Which took a LONG time, like 45 minutes. They are hard to peel. Some worse than others. Had I let them age longer in the fridge, they would have peeled easier, no doubt.

This yielded probably close to a cup full of eggs when all was said and done, perhaps just a tad more. So, probably the equivalent of 3 or maybe 4 chicken eggs.

We had them last night as part of a chef's salad. Everyone seemed to like them. Even the dog (big surprise, hah!).

They taste like .... EGGS! Shocking, hah!

Now, after peeling all of those little buggers, I decided that, getting about a dozen chicken and duck eggs a day, I'm NOT spending an hour peeling tiny quail eggs again, unless maybe I'm starving. I'll probably just boil and mash them up for the chickens.

But, they would be excellent to make fancy little canapes or hors d'ouevres for a party.

Last edited:
What if you hard-boiled, then sliced in half and scooped the egg out with a small spoon - would that be faster than peeling them (if you don't need them whole)? I don't have quail - yet - but thought I'd probably save the quail eggs for things like scrambling or baking, rather than hard-boiling, since they would be fiddlier to peel.

HAHA:lol:
Thats great! We have been wanting to do that with our Button and coturnix eggs.
smile.png

How were they? Did they taste any different from a chicken egg?

Quote:
Not to my palette - I didn't notice any taste or textural difference whatsoever. Either au natural or with salad dressing (French in my case).

I cooked a couple of coturnix eggs last fall, they were fine. And, large enough to be more worthwhile, IMO. Like a 4th of a hen's egg, not a 12th.

Quote:
I actually did try that, but the shells were so fragile it didn't really work, just made a mess with shell fragments all over and mixed into the eggwhite.

Actually, I think the real answer for those inclined to use them is just to age longer in the fridge. Some peeled much easier than others, and I am assuming the fresher they were, the harder they were to peel. 2 to 3 weeks in the fridge would probably make them pop right out.

Never ate button eggs here but made around 200 devileggs with coturnix eggs on New Years. Was up filling them as the fireworks were going off. LOL

AC

Last edited:
I read that soaking the hard boiled eggs in vinegar will make the shell disintegrate. then you remove the soft inner shell. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Quote:
I read that also, but I haven't tried it.

Older eggs are easier to peel also if you take them off the stove and dunk them right into cold water the shells come off easier.

It would probably be easier to just scramble, sunny-side-up or poach them than to peel them.

But I bet they are really cute all peeled on a platter!

In 5th great we soaked regular eggs (not hard boiled) in vinegar and left it in a jar for a few weeks. The outer shell disintegrated. 5th grade was soooooo long ago LOL, 13 years ago WOW

Back
Top Bottom