Whole flock gone in 2 weeks

Yeah we have them weighted down and hubs just put a special latch in today to hold them shut, but I noticed a small gap between the lid and the box, maybe 1/4" that we'll have to seal too.

Yeah we have them weighted down and hubs just put a special latch in today to hold them shut, but I noticed a small gap between the lid and the box, maybe 1/4" that we'll have to seal too.
A 1/4" gap is not allowing a animal in unless the gap opens up more with pressure. A Neighbor had predators scaling the 8ft wall going in where the gap between the rafters are. IT appears your front ones are closed in with the box work----how about at the back?

Is that a automatic metal door I see----can it be opened by pushing up on it?

Last edited:
Yeah it's the same in the back, all boxed in there too. And the door is mechanized and extremely difficult to open manually. You can't pull up on the bottom because it's too sharp and hard to open (I've actually tried!). When it broke I had to pry it open with a piece of wood. So I think our weakest spots were the vents in the back and the egg doors - both now reinforced.

Yeah it's the same in the back, all boxed in there too. And the door is mechanized and extremely difficult to open manually. You can't pull up on the bottom because it's too sharp and hard to open (I've actually tried!). When it broke I had to pry it open with a piece of wood. So I think our weakest spots were the vents in the back and the egg doors - both now reinforced.

Great, Hope the future chicken raising goes great. But if you have another problem, remember baby monitors(or similar) can help when a chicken hollers during the night---might be ruff when the rooster starts crowing at 3 am though---LOL. I can monitor my chickens easy 5 miles away when needed----maybe a lot farther---never tried it. My chicken pens are 1/2 mile from my home so out of a baby monitors range. I use voice activated GMRS radio's.

Thank you! I was actually planning to do a baby monitor out there so I'm glad you reminded me. I hope it will reach!!!

I'm so sorry. We have been there many times. It is usually raccoons. I know its sometimes hard emotionally to try again but you're not alone. Your set up looks nice.

Back
Top Bottom