Whole flock shut off laying

Sandersfunnyfarm

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2023
I got a buddy with 16 leghorns less than 1 year old. They consistently layer a egg a day since July. They all have stopped laying for 7 days and counting. No signs of illness, plenty of food, no predators around. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause that

my flock has also stopped laying, I find that if I have hens who have been laying for less than a year usually stop laying eggs early in the fall and the older hens usually stop in late fall.
It’s totally normal for them to take a break,don’t worry😊

I'm getting maybe three eggs per day from my flock of twelve at the moment, and that is if I'm lucky.

Many of them are molting, so not laying much if at all, and the reduced daylight hours will also make them stop or slow laying.

So I got leghorns also from the same hatch and mine still are laying consistently. Does this make things more wierd

It might make it a bit more weird, but different flocks can run on a different schedule. There could be any number of factors at play here, some of which are controllable (diet, protein and calcium levels, etc) and some of which are not (molting, daylight hours unless a light is used).

Has he made any changes to how he manages them? If it is cold, do they have access to some way to keep warm? (As an example, my flock lays a lot better during winter when they have access to their greenhouse. It lets them use less energy for warmth, freeing that energy for egg production.) What kind of feed are they getting, and has it been switched recently? These are all some things to look at, if signs point to something else being at play.

Back
Top Bottom