Flock not laying

lrach73

Songster
5 Years
May 4, 2018
Midwest, Kansas
I currently have 14 chickens: three that are five years old, four that are 18-months old, six that are about five months old and a rooster.

Our older girls (orpington, easter egger, plymouth rock) were rock solid layers, laying all year and nearly every day. When they had their other three flock mates (have since passed, the last about six months ago) we couldn't eat enough eggs to keep up. They suddenly stopped late last summer (2022), the easter egger being the last to start and the last to stop. It happened very quickly, going from regular production to nothing within about a month.

The 18 mos olds (wyandotte, lavender orpington, golden comet, salmon faverolle) have hardly ever laid. We were getting maybe 2 eggs every other day for a couple months, then nothing again. The younger girls are in a separate coop and haven't started laying yet.

I'm at a total loss. We've tried a couple of different layer-specific foods from local feed stores (they were originally on Tractor Supply food until they stopped laying, then we decided to try a different food). The do not free range due to too many predators, but have plenty of room in their run. They are sassy, active, talkative, happy looking birds. Combs are healthy, no signs of mites, no signs of worms. We've checked everywhere in the coop to make sure they aren't laying somewhere else (which has happened in the past) and nothing is getting in to steal the eggs. Coop is clean, plenty of fresh food and clean water. No signs of molting and Wilson (the rooster) doesn't seem to be mounting them too often. Nobody is egg bound either. Other than zero eggs, they act completely normal. What else can I do? I'm tired of having to buy eggs when I have chickens that should be laying them, lol. I have noticed much less poop in the coop the last few months but attributed that to much better quality food. No worms or anything in the poop.

They are probably about to start dropping feathers.
But all of them? All at once? They younger ones really never laid well and shouldn't the older birds still be laying, at least occasionally? I've had them molt before, but not all of the flock, all at once and taking months at a time.

We did have a terrible heat wave, but that's not really unusual and hasn't stopped production before (and they weren't laying before the heat wave either). No predator scares that I'm aware of, the rooster hasn't been carrying on more than usual and they don't act more flighty than normal.

i would agree its molting time but you say its been going on awhile and my birds never stop laying altogether or molt at once .. i agree something is going on, you say you got lots of predators, something may be hanging around there at night keeping them always flustered .. id maybe get a couple of trail cams and see whats going on at night, even if you dont see much wiley predators know you and your habits and you may never see them harassing your birds at night ... another factor 'can' be something like snakes eating the eggs if you arnt vigilant about collecting eggs on time every day ... also, mine still lay but they lay better if they get some greens and treats like bread a couple of times a week .. anyway, i dont buy the 'its the feed' myth thats floating around .. thats a tall tale ..

But all of them? All at once? They younger ones really never laid well and shouldn't the older birds still be laying, at least occasionally? I've had them molt before, but not all of the flock, all at once and taking months at a time.

We did have a terrible heat wave, but that's not really unusual and hasn't stopped production before (and they weren't laying before the heat wave either). No predator scares that I'm aware of, the rooster hasn't been carrying on more than usual and they don't act more flighty than normal.
If it was a molt, and the egg production stopped last year, you should have seen more eggs since then or at least a molt during that time. It typically only takes 4-12 weeks for a molt cycle as far as I know.
@mcdze might have a point about the snakes or other predators.
@Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, any pointers?

Birds molt every year this time of year.
Sometimes they only drop a couple of feathers and sometimes they drop enough to where you can tell and there are bald spots on the bird.

Yes...the older ones can take a few months off from laying.

The low production all year points to something other than molting.
I'm guessing low nutrition.
Fewer poops means less eating.
Just went thru this with a bag of older feed(3mo, had no choice), fewer poops, less water consumption, and fewer eggs.
Got fresher feed and things picked back up, even with older birds in the shortening days.
ETA, but I also feed a 20% all flock and no treats but a touch of scratch.

Are you feeding any 'treats' or foods other than the layer feeds?
What are the protein and calcium percentages of the feeds?
Are the feeds fresh, do you know how to check manufacturing dates??

Back
Top Bottom