Flock not laying

i would agree its molting time but you say its been going on awhile and my birds never stop laying altogether or molt at once .. i agree something is going on, you say you got lots of predators, something may be hanging around there at night keeping them always flustered .. id maybe get a couple of trail cams and see whats going on at night, even if you dont see much wiley predators know you and your habits and you may never see them harassing your birds at night ... another factor 'can' be something like snakes eating the eggs if you arnt vigilant about collecting eggs on time every day ... also, mine still lay but they lay better if they get some greens and treats like bread a couple of times a week .. anyway, i dont buy the 'its the feed' myth thats floating around .. thats a tall tale ..
I like the idea of a trail cam, though honestly it would be needed more at night. They are in an enclosed, locked coop at night, so unless it's banging up against the coop they aren't likely to know there's anything there. One for inside the coop is a good idea too.

Birds molt every year this time of year.
Sometimes they only drop a couple of feathers and sometimes they drop enough to where you can tell and there are bald spots on the bird.

Yes...the older ones can take a few months off from laying.
The older ones haven't laid since July/August of 2022. I'll definitely watch for feathers!

The low production all year points to something other than molting.
I'm guessing low nutrition.
Fewer poops means less eating.
Just went thru this with a bag of older feed(3mo, had no choice), fewer poops, less water consumption, and fewer eggs.
Got fresher feed and things picked back up, even with older birds in the shortening days.
ETA, but I also feed a 20% all flock and no treats but a touch of scratch.

Are you feeding any 'treats' or foods other than the layer feeds?
What are the protein and calcium percentages of the feeds?
Are the feeds fresh, do you know how to check manufacturing dates??
They're getting a 17% layer feed from a local feed store, though we've also tried a different feed store's layer feed without luck. Do you have a favorite brand? They don't regularly get treats.

Back
Top Bottom