Who's built a homemade electric scalder?

Can you use one of those plastic barrels like this?

So I built an electric scalder, 110V 2000w element in the remnants of a 55 gallon white plastic drum and Ranco thermostat. I followed the same basic guidelines as everyone here. I filled the scalder to about 30 gallons and tried to keep it at about 150 degrees during last weeks butchering, but the temperature kept dropping after every 10 chickens or so down to about 136, and I would have to wait 30-45 minutes to get the temperature back up into scalding range. Supplemented with some boiling water a couple times to speed things along. Anyone have suggestions on to better keep the scalder in the operational range? Maybe 30 gallons is too much for the one element.

Thoughts?

would a second element increase the efficiency and recovery time?

A second element would require a second circuit. Two 2000 watt elements equals 4000 watts. 4000 watts divided by 120 volts equals a 33.33 amp draw on the circuit. (Watts divided by volts = amps). I don't know anyone that has a breaker in the service box that is over 30.

Ok I see I was just asking because there are commercially produced units that have two 1500 watt elements. I guess that just equals 25 amp s though.

I cut the top off a water heater with a reciprocal saw and used the bottom element and thermostat with 110 volts (could use 220 volt if available) and it held close enough for 70 chickens in three hours. If its a little hot don't leave them in as long, if a little cool you may have to leave them in a little longer. It took about 7 hours to get up to 145 degrees. A foam filled water heater is best as the ones with fiberglass insulation just soak up water unless really well sealed.

I was thinking that if I added a second 2000w heating element on a second 20A circuit, it would help keep the water at temp. It took probably 5 hours to bring the water to 150 degrees, and the water would drop 10 degrees or so after every dozen birds, which would require another 30-45 minutes to reheat. I don't mind using a second circuit to run the second element, though I'm also considering the 4500w 220v version using an unused dryer outlet and a really long extension cord, 100' or so. The scalding has definitely been the slowest part of the whole butchering process, and if I can get that up to speed, I can get through a lot more birds per hour.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Why only 30 gallons in a 55 gal drum? Fill it up just so it doesn't overflow when dunking-more volume of water means less drop in temperature per bird per gallon. Yes, adding another element would help but more expense. Also is yours insulated-foam is the best As I said in an earlier post I have a well insulated tank and about maybe 45 gallons of water and no problem doing 60 plus birds nonstop. also I think people put too much emphasis on water temperature- if its a little too hot dunk quicker and shorter time, a little colder (too an extent) may require a little longer soak, just use the old tried and true trick of when a wing or tail feather pulls easily it into the plucker.

Why only 30 gallons in a 55 gal drum? Fill it up just so it doesn't overflow when dunking-more volume of water means less drop in temperature per bird per gallon. Yes, adding another element would help but more expense. Also is yours insulated-foam is the best As I said in an earlier post I have a well insulated tank and about maybe 45 gallons of water and no problem doing 60 plus birds nonstop. also I think people put too much emphasis on water temperature- if its a little too hot dunk quicker and shorter time, a little colder (too an extent) may require a little longer soak, just use the old tried and true trick of when a wing or tail feather pulls easily it into the plucker.

Perhaps it's done to reduce the inital heating time, along with displacement with the birds dunked. more water might help keep the temps up longer but also it would effect recovery time from cool down I would think.

Back
Top Bottom