Who's built a homemade electric scalder?

The element is connected as follows:

One wire connects from one element terminal to the NO connection. The other element terminal connects to the COM (white wire) terminal.

So it sounds like either terminal can be used for either, i.e.-it doesn't matter which terminal you select to connect to the NO or the COM. Is this right?

Yes. From the perspective of the heating element, that is correct. Technically, the neutral wire (white) attaches to the COM and the power (black?) attaches to the NO. However, for a resistive load (such as a heating element) it does not matter which is which.

Mark

One final question: I am using an extension chord to do this. I have three wires, black, white and green. The green is for ground, but I don't think there's anywhere to put a ground on the heating element. Is that correct?

So here are some pics of my new scalder. Today was the first day I fired it up. I've decided to ground it the dolly it's mounted to, but I haven't actually screwed it on.

I wrapped it in the duct insulation, like yours. Instead of just one layer, I decided to wrap it in about four layers, to make it as thick as a hwh, and also because I really don't need extra duct insulation lying around here.

I wanted to seal the top to keep stinky chicken water from running down between the layers, so I used a ton of duct tape, which didn't really stick very well.

I probably didn't need to, but I sealed everything with silicone: screws and the hole for the element.

The etc is a really slick piece of instrumentation. I'm very happy with that.

The barrel I bought had been used as a rain catcher for someone's gutter, so it was already fitted with a side spigot. It's not central like yours, but it seems to work ok.

The first element I bought fried up in a second because I turned it on with no water in the barrel. For anyone thinking of making this, Please do not do this. It could have been a bigger disaster than just a $10 element.

It took about five hours to get it to 155. I think, when I'm ready to use it, I'll turn it on the night before I'm processing chickens. I'll post the pics in a second.

Back
Top Bottom