Why am I getting these misshapen eggs consistently?

Calcium Gluconate is my go to if anything persists with eggs. Honestly other than a fairy egg once in a while and a softshell This is the first time to have odd-shaped eggs for any length of time. My ducks are not youngins any longer 6 yrs old and up so even that could come into play [age].

I don't really have anything to add. I've on several occasions had eggs that were odd for one reason or another - super pointy, lopsided, tiny, strange texture. I've tried calcium for soft shelled, but it didn't seem to have much impact at that time. I feed what I've been told is a high quality diet, so I never understand why these issues crop up occasionally. Usually with time it passes, but I usually always go digging and try to figure out what could be the cause. Regarding feed though, if my ducks run out in the afternoon I always make sure to refill so they have enough to last up until bed time. When I first had my girls I was feeding exclusively fermented Scratch and Peck, but I started to have concerns that they weren't getting all the vitamins and such, since the fines seemed to be often left at the bottom of the bowl. I switched to Mazuri pellet part time just to make sure they were getting everything they needed. So much of duck health is a mystery to me!

I actually just picked up a weird looking egg from one of my pekins just now. It's also lopsided and has a strange diagonal stripe pattern on it. I've had these every now and then and I have no idea why. I'll give calcium for a few days just in case that's the problem. I have thought that since my pekins came from a hatchery, and are meat birds modified to grow super fast and not to live super long, that perhaps they have some genetic deficiencies that I can't really do anything about :(.

IMG_2282.JPG

Is there a reason they don't have access to calcium free-choice at all times?

(I don't have ducks and don't know if they eat oystershell like chickens).
They do have access to oyster shells at all times. Like I said in my previous post, it's a bit of a guessing game to determine whether or not extra calcium on top of oyster shells helps with the various egg issues.

You'd never know that my Pekin eats oyster shell like it's candy 🤷🏻‍♀️ Cori that looks identical to eggs Honey BooBoo was laying before her shells started being soft all the time 😢 I don't think the streaks are a problem. Tom, my Buff Duck has laid eggs with streaks too and her eggs are nicely shelled. I remember reading about it here on BYC too. The shape (that curved shape at the top) is what reminds me of Honey BooBoo. Hopefully it's just a coincidence 😉

Hmm...okay, thanks for the heads up Heather. I've also read that too much calcium can cause soft-shelled. I think we discussed that on another thread. It's so confusing - I just wish my pekins didn't lay any eggs and I wouldn't have to worry about them :hmm

Infection with worms can cause deformed eggs.

Not just intestinal worms, but also liver and lung worms also.
Partly because of the low brow inflammation this causes in the bird's body, but also because the worms steal nutrients/cause malabsorption.

Infections of the liver also will cause discoloured egg yolks(from pale yellow to white at worst).
Sneezing and head shaking is typical for infection with airway/lung parasites.

So if you haven't checked for these parasites in a while, might be a good idea to do so.
Like, most times you need to check the feces under the microscope for eggs. Worms are not as often found in the feces.

Infection with worms can cause deformed eggs.

Not just intestinal worms, but also liver and lung worms also.
Partly because of the low brow inflammation this causes in the bird's body, but also because the worms steal nutrients/cause malabsorption.

Infections of the liver also will cause discoloured egg yolks(from pale yellow to white at worst).
Sneezing and head shaking is typical for infection with airway/lung parasites.

So if you haven't checked for these parasites in a while, might be a good idea to do so.
Like, most times you need to check the feces under the microscope for eggs. Worms are not as often found in the feces.
Interesting, assuming I would have to get a fecal float done by a vet to test for this?

Darn it. This makes me really regret not doing a necropsy on Junie.
Its also odd to me that I just lost my Mallard hen, and now my other Mallard hen is laying odd eggs.
I'm going to tag some experts, and see if I can find a vet who can do testing on my birds.

@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia

I think that @KaleIAm also has first hand experience with infectious bronchitis. Shoots, this on top of ALV, when does it end.

Also going to tag @Chicken poppy and @MGG so they can follow along.
I do have experience with infectious bronchitis, in ducks, and diagnosed by an avian vet. My ducks have never had respiratory symptoms, except for unrelated respiratory fungal infections.

I have one duck, Nettle, who is now 8 years old and always lays oddly shaped eggs. My other duck, Pigweed, gives perfectly normal appearing eggs. Nettle has been tested for egg drop, and it was negative.

Back
Top Bottom