WHY AM I NOT GETTING EGGS!!!

Future vet

Songster
Feb 21, 2022
I've been meaning to mention this! I have 9 chickens, (1 Isa Brown)(6 Rhode Island Reds)(1 Cinnamon Queen) (and 1 random blue egg layer) #AnotherThingToDo... I only get 4-5 eggs a day! All the chickens are 3 except 2 are 1.
The only thing I have changed was their feed to an all-flock feed. Is the problem their age, nutrition, stress, etc? they are free-range chickens. Their coop is cleaned daily. Disappointing if its their age but I need up front answers fast. 😕

4-5 eggs a day out of 9 is actually not bad. Once they get to be 3 years old they'll start to slow down laying, especially the high production breeds like you have that burn through eggs the first few years. Most will still lay 2-4 eggs a week but not daily like they have been. Since you also free range, I'd check around for any hidden nests outside the coop.

I've been meaning to mention this! I have 9 chickens, (1 Isa Brown)(6 Rhode Island Reds)(1 Cinnamon Queen) (and 1 random blue egg layer) #AnotherThingToDo... I only get 4-5 eggs a day! All the chickens are 3 except 2 are 1.
The only thing I have changed was their feed to an all-flock feed. Is the problem their age, nutrition, stress, etc? they are free-range chickens. Their coop is cleaned daily. Disappointing if its their age but I need up front answers fast. 😕
Your hens may very well only be laying every other day, but laying non the less- if you can’t tell the eggs apart you may not know if one isn’t laying or not.

I have a similar dilemma with my 4 silkie hens, I wish to set eggs from them next month but if know that only one is laying almost daily, her eggs have some dark pigments so I know hers. Another lays about every other day, she lays the lightest colouring of all the hens, and her eggs are always longer than wider. And every so often maybe every week I get an egg from the remaining two hens, I know three are laying because I got 3 eggs the other day.

So who isnt laying? Well in my case I know who it is because they each lay a distinct egg. Fluffy is my non layer.

The question same as yours is why? Is she getting old? They are all 3 now, and yes will be slowing up now with laying. There isn’t anything about this, that we can do for this, age gets us all in the end.

Maybe it’s lack of daylight, I started supplementing light inside due to the gloomy weather here. I am feeding a layer feed same as all my chooks, so feed likely isn’t the issue. Maybe go to a Layer ration.

My advice is to 1) try to find out who is actually laying. 2) maybe supplement some light in the early morning.

But I suspect that they are just getting older, and not much we can do about that, I have about 10 lawn ornaments here that are elderly and not laying.

Most of the breeds you have are production breeds meaning that their egg production greatly lowers after 3 years of age. You also said that they are free ranged, could there be a hidden nest somewhere? A hidden nest could also be why you are getting less eggs.
Thank you so much! Is there another breed that produces well but for a long time?

Th
Your hens may very well only be laying every other day, but laying non the less- if you can’t tell the eggs apart you may not know if one isn’t laying or not.

I have a similar dilemma with my 4 silkie hens, I wish to set eggs from them next month but if know that only one is laying almost daily, her eggs have some dark pigments so I know hers. Another lays about every other day, she lays the lightest colouring of all the hens, and her eggs are always longer than wider. And every so often maybe every week I get an egg from the remaining two hens, I know three are laying because I got 3 eggs the other day.

So who isnt laying? Well in my case I know who it is because they each lay a distinct egg. Fluffy is my non layer.

The question same as yours is why? Is she getting old? They are all 3 now, and yes will be slowing up now with laying. There isn’t anything about this, that we can do for this, age gets us all in the end.

Maybe it’s lack of daylight, I started supplementing light inside due to the gloomy weather here. I am feeding a layer feed same as all my chooks, so feed likely isn’t the issue. Maybe go to a Layer ration.

My advice is to 1) try to find out who is actually laying. 2) maybe supplement some light in the early morning.

But I suspect that they are just getting older, and not much we can do about that, I have about 10 lawn ornaments here that are elderly and not lay
Thank you for the information! Will do!

Thank you so much! Is there another breed that produces well but for a long time?
Deathlayers are said to be highly productive and lay for a long time.

But I would say that just like us, chickens get old and are not as capable of doing all the things we do as youngsters.

Is there a reason you need chooks that lay longer ? Does your area have limited zoning for chooks?

When did you last deworm them?

Worms will deprive them of important nutrients leading to lower egg count.
Very true, I do mine twice a year.

I recently had a stool sample of my pullet who wasn’t well, she had round worms so the vet suggested I worm the whole flock. She is still laying soft eggs but at least we ruled that out.

@Future vet
Can you get worm meds for your flock?

they are free-range chickens.
Before you do anything else....

Time for exams:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then...
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom