WHY ARE MEAT SCRAPS BAD FOR CHICKENS?

Chickens need animal protein! The problem is people afraid of ecoli and botulism. If you feed and they don't eat it all it should be picked up. If meat is spoiled it may cause problems but not good meat. Mine get both raw and cooked leftovers.

They love chopped chicken liver and left over diner meat. I also give them natural yogurt with fruit and any left over scrambled eggs. They come running when I dig in the garden or weed.

I had no idea about this. I suppose its banned in NSW as well?

I gave ours left over steak for breakfast this morning blissfully unaware I was probably breaking the law.

I give mine meat all the time. Stupid laws that really don't relate to back yard chicken owners.

I am so going to do the roadkill thing. Plenty of it around here, and I'm always thinking what a tremendous waste it is.

Didn't mean to sound condescending toward you. That was for newbies who might not consider or realize the "naturally" of the thought/caution. :D

There are some who take a statement as is..... like simply..... roadkill
And no thought to how old it might be. But by saying it they will think about it.

Like that guy that hung meat scraps in a bag for flies to get to and let the maggots drop to the dish below.... his thought... they eat fly larvae so ..... no thought of the bacteria on the meat!!! Lost the birds.

Didn't mean to sound condescending toward you. That was for newbies who might not consider or realize the "naturally" of the thought/caution. :D

There are some who take a statement as is..... like simply..... roadkill
And no thought to how old it might be. But by saying it they will think about it.

Like that guy that hung meat scraps in a bag for flies to get to and let the maggots drop to the dish below.... his thought... they eat fly larvae so ..... no thought of the bacteria on the meat!!! Lost the birds.

That's interesting. :/ I've heard of several people doing that as a feed source and they never lost any birds.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be helpful for any chicken with a site including maggots and bacteria. Even if others do it, it doesn't necessarily mean that's what is good for your chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom