WHY ARE MEAT SCRAPS BAD FOR CHICKENS?

I've read the posts but don't seem to see the problem with feeding meat or meat scraps to chicken. I would not feed them road kill - who knows what diseases they can carry - but I would gladly give them meat scraps or leftover meat.

Mine get great benefits during deer season, after i do my work the rest of the deer goes into the pen. Two days later it looks like a group of vultures had a go.

Road kill deer works just as good as a hunter killed deer, not to mention other species.

One of my girls stopped laying 8 days ago and appears to have started molting today. It is freaking me out a little because it is getting so cold here in Michigan and they are still in their tractor coop. We just began building their insulated coop, and not sure how long it will take to finish. @ TXchickmum: Does giving meat scraps help them stop molting or grow their feathers back sooner or is it just so they won't eat the feathers they are losing?

I think extra protein in the diet helps because it takes protein to produce feathers and eggs. (-thus the chickens cease laying whilst molting because the protein is being utilized to regrow feathers. -feathers are comprised of a high percentage of protein.) -don't think the protein/meat stops the molting process but aids in the feather growth. I do know that birds that are deficient in protein will pick feathers. Also, there are protein-rich feeds that can be offered during molting or other sources of protein that can be chosen. Meat just works for us.

I give a little cat food for extra protein during their moult but I am careful due to the salt content. I also give tuna fish which they love ! I have two picky cats so their leftovers are greatly received :)
I do give meat scraps from our plates but I avoid chicken as it just doesn't seem right :/
Also bacon rinds can be salty so a little every now and then.

One of my girls stopped laying 8 days ago and appears to have started molting today.  It is freaking me out a little because it is getting so cold here in Michigan and they are still in their tractor coop.  We just began building their insulated coop, and not sure how long it will take to finish.  @ TXchickmum:  Does giving meat scraps help them stop molting or grow their feathers back sooner or is it just so they won't eat the feathers they are losing?

What’s wrong with them eating the feathers they are losing? Feathers are obviously high in the protein and other nutrients needed to grow feathers. Mine do it all the time and I’ve never had a problem with them picking each other’s feathers off of them.

-nothing wrong with them eating the feathers they're losing. -not preferable for 'em to pick and eat feathers from other birds. -doesn't usually happen but it can.

Back
Top Bottom