Why are my 10 week old hens all going into one nesting box

farmhouse1888

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Westlake, OHIO
I am unsure why my hens are all gong into one nesting box. I feel they may smoother each other. I made a box for them on the floor & they have gone up higher. There are 3 boxes up higher. They do not use their roost. They seem scared. It is 60-70 degrees here at night & I am not using the heat lamp anymore. Could they be cold? There are 8 of them? Thank you very much. These are backyard chickens. They have a nice big walk-in hen house & their own yard about 10x20 feet. I love these girls.

Don't fret. That's not uncommon. At that age they still cuddle together a lot. Some of mine still like to pack into the nesting box closest to the coop door sometimes.

I don't think you have to worry. I have five Silkie hens that choose to cram into one nesting box as well. When I first got them I was concerned too, but it's been three years, and I have never had any trouble. They are happy and healthier than ever! I hope everything works out the same with your girls.
Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif
!

They won't smother each other - but you really don't want them to form a habit of sleeping in the nest boxes. Do you have other laying age birds or are these the only birds you have?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, you don't want them to get used to sleeping in the nesting boxes... chickens poop when they sleep and it leads to dirty nests and eggs if you let them develop the habit. People usually close off the nesting boxes until the pullets are of laying age, or be sure and take them out and put them on the roosts at night until they are doing it on their own. You might want to see if you can make the roosts more attractive to them, make sure they are easy to get on and off of ... ladder type system or roosts/something at multiple heights to get up to them, and be sure the highest roost is higher than the nest boxes since chickens usually like to sleep as high as they can get.

Oh good idea. Yes I will close off the boxes for a few weeks. I have a crate I made into a pullet box for them, it is on the ground level. Can they sleep in there?
I do have the roosts as you say: on different levels, ladder style. I have seen 1 or 2 sitting on these but not often.
I have a high wide shelf above the nests I made for the girls. But how are they to get up there??!! It is up about 4'6". They could hardly get up to the nesting boxes. Shall I put them up on the shelf?
If I am willing to clean out the poop each day, can I allow the girls to sleep in the nesting boxes? It seems more comfy than the roosts!!
I so appreciate this site & your help. Thank you very much.

Hello and Welcome!! Your nesting boxes should have a small shelf or roost in front of it so the girls can jump to it. The roost itself should be higher than nests as Kelsie said. But what is your roost made of? Did you use 2x4,dowel rod,limbs from trees?

Back
Top Bottom