Why are my Cornish Rocks becoming so aggressive???

Do you think you could please post a picture of these birds? I would like to see how they look at that age. Been thinking of getting a few and would like to know how the body changes to that age.

Yes, but they're over 6 months old. If the breed is the problem, I guess I could just butcher them out and get new hens from one of the poultry auctions.
sad.png
They aren't really known for their egg laying abilities, or long lives. Are you restricting feed?

Some people do raise their chickens for food, and I'm willing to bet the OP does too. She said she saved out 9 of the hens so I'm thinking that means the rest of the flock minus those 9 were butchered. I get that some people consider their chickens to be pets but not everyone does.

I'm aware they're not a popular choice for egg layers. When I butchered mine out they were around 4 months old, and I wanted some egg layers, so I figured why not hang onto a few and see if they lay. Sure enough they started laying eggs around 6 months old.
smile.png

I restrict the amount of grain they get, but they free range every day and pick all sorts of bugs, plants, etc. I also feed them kitchen scraps.

After reading the size of the tractor is an issue, I moved them further away from the house, so they can free range without bothering people. They've seemed to calm down quite a bit and don't chase people anymore.

Sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning butchering them. I raise many of my chickens for meat, so that I do not have to purchase meat from the grocery store that was raised in cruel conditions on a factory farm.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a good plan there! It will be interesting to see how well they lay.

I'm also another that raises my own meat birds. At least I know they've had good lives.

interesting. I had one that ending up being a rooster. We planned on keeping him because he used to be somewhat of a lap chicken. He was the sweetest rooster and literally within 2 days he had changed 100%. He became the meanest chicken I've encountered. It was to the point I was going to butcher him that weekend. Just so happens the dog got him and took care of that for me. Never had my dogs mess with any chicken before or after. Oh, he was about 9 months at that time. He changed at about 8 months

Even 4 months seems like a long time. When I raised cornish cross (are they the same as cornish rock?) they were butchered at around 7 or 8 weeks and they were pretty darn big. Some of them were kinda crippled-the place we got them from said it's because of how fast they grow.

Anyway, glad it seems to be working out for you!

I have a Cornish rooster that is over a year old and he is awful. We limit his food intake every day and I think that's why he's lived so long. He is one of the biggest roosters I have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom