Why are my jersey giant hens not giant?

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
I have 2 jersey giant hens I got from tractor Supply last year and they are not giant. They look like jersey giants but they are not giant. They weight 5 pounds each. I also know someone who got a few a while ago and they also never got big. I'm not sure where she got hers from though.

They are slow to mature birds but its likely Because they're hatchery quality not breeder quality. Most hatcheries focus on quantity not quality. A few do both. If you want big ones, find a registered breeder.

Hatchery birds resemble the bred they are suppose to be. All hatchery birds are smaller than their standards bred alternative. Brahma are bigger but certainly not the giants they are meant to be. It's a shame the Jersey Giants are that small.

I have 2 jersey giant hens I got from tractor Supply last year and they are not giant. They look like jersey giants but they are not giant. They weight 5 pounds each. I also know someone who got a few a while ago and they also never got big. I'm not sure where she got hers from though.
Do you have pictures? Maybe someone working at the Tractor Supply store put some Australorp's in the Jersey Giant bin?

If you want Jersey Giants that are really giants, you need to seek out a breeder who selects to the Standard. As others have said, hatchery giants aren't big. Attached is a pic comparing 2 hens. The larger hen is 7 months old in the photo, the smaller is 2 years. Both are from breeders, one just selects to the standard.

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpeg
    IMG_4689.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom