Why are my jersey giant hens not giant?

Hatcheries do not care if their breeding birds meet the breed standards or not. They simply multiply birds for profit, they don’t select Giants for size or weigh them. I got Jersey Giants from a hatchery in the past and had the same experience. The only way to get giant Giants is to buy them from a breeder who breeds to the Standard of Perfection.

Our JGs from MurrayMcMurray a long time ago varied in size, a lot. The larger birds couldn't get up on our roosts, three feet or higher, and went into the freezer. The two 'mini' JG hens, were able to get on the roosts, were sweet pets, layed many eggs and died when nine years of age. Two of our oldest hens ever. Still miss them!
The show breeder i talked to about them said "don't have roosts!".
I agree that getting big birds from most hatcheries might be difficult. Generally the birds we get from Cackle (never JGs though) have been closer to the standard of their breeds. Even in show lines there will be variations.
Mary

I have 2 jersey giant hens I got from tractor Supply last year and they are not giant. They look like jersey giants but they are not giant. They weight 5 pounds each. I also know someone who got a few a while ago and they also never got big. I'm not sure where she got hers from though.
I have four from tractor supply. Have to say they never really got big. I think the biggest is maybe around 6 or 7 pounds maybe more maybe less. Have to say they are fantastic birds super sweet and calm just not big!

Back
Top Bottom