why are there blood spots in my eggs?

I don't have a rooster... and I collect the eggs everyday, so there's no way that was an embryo. Thankfully it was the only egg like that, all her eggs since have been perfect. I was worried that we might have to cull her if she continued producing eggs like that, and she's my favorite of our 3 girls. I'm so glad it was just a bizarre one-off.

I don't have a rooster... and I collect the eggs everyday, so there's no way that was an embryo. Thankfully it was the only egg like that, all her eggs since have been perfect. I was worried that we might have to cull her if she continued producing eggs like that, and she's my favorite of our 3 girls. I'm so glad it was just a bizarre one-off.

Good, I am glad that I was wrong in this case.
smile.png

I've seen some pretty funky eggs over the years - usually from new layers, old layers or those just starting or finishing a laying season.

I've been having problems with my chickens i moved them a week ago and there still not laying the day before i moved them they started laying and i have to move them again should i be worried my chickens are everything i have and i forgot to mention i have 30 chickens

There is nothing wrong with blood spots in eggs. Unless of course you are Jewish. Consuming blood in any form for any reason is strictly prohibited.

They are sometimes called meat spots too. It could be caused by ruptured blood vein during the egg making process. They are still safe to eat.

i found this incredibly helpful. i cracked open my black australorps first egg, and found a blood spot.. thought that only came with fertile eggs.. and since we have only pullets/hens.. i was confused.. i tossed the egg out, not knowing.. good to know she's healthy.. i've since eaten her next 2 days eggs and they were yummy.. :)

Blood spots are totally unreleated to fertility. And they are totally harmless. If they bother you, simply scoop them out before cooking the egg, or if there are multiples, or they are attached to the yolk, feed them to the dog or chickens. But, no harm in eating such an egg yourself. Simply an aesthetic issue.

One of my chickens (Sweetie Pie)started having blood spots in her eggs. After a couple of weeks I went to the farm store and bought some vitamins. I put 1/4 tsp in their water and the blood spots have stopped! I only have 2 chickens and have a gallon hanging water container for them. Ruby Baby and Sweetie Pie seem to be well adjusted. The lady I bought them from was ready to make chicken and dumplings out of Ruby Baby because she kept getting out of her yard and her neighbor was angry. But the lady had about 30 chickens, Ruby Baby was the youngest (about 9 months old) and I don't think she was getting enough to eat. She has never left my yard since I brought her home. My yard is fenced just as her home yard was.

Back
Top Bottom