Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
So I started out with chickens a month ago or so.

I bought 1 white leghorn, 2 deutsche sperber (look a lot like plymouth rocks/dominiques), and 1 black/brown leghorn, all of which were about 22 weeks at the time.

The black one was the first to start laying every now and then, until it once layed a very thin-shelled egg and then started to lay shell-less eggs, which were eaten as well, since they stepped on it. I have since supplied oyster-shell grit and some vitamins (especially D3, within conservative bounds) to help absorb calcium. Sometimes I also grind up shells and put it in their feed.

For a week or so the black one has stopped laying completely (I assume she stopped because I can't find even the egg-"bag" that sometimes was still laying around). The sperber are laying close to every day, they just started, and the white one has been laying an egg a day for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

I feed them with a mix of corn, peas, buckwheat, linseed and sunflowerseeds in a ratio of 30:30:30:10 (10 is the oily seeds), which I grind up. The mix is calculated to have about 15-16% protein. They have a big run with lots of opportunity for foraging and insect hunting, which they happily indulge in.

I'm not sure what is going on with the black one. Is it normal for egg production to be so unsteady or is something wrong with her? To me she seems quite healthy. Only yesterday she was panting a bit, but it was pretty hot outside (30°C/86°F). She isn't panting with an open beak today.
There were no new additions, and their life here should be rather stress free (apart from an owner trying to pet them every now and then ;) ). They don't get too many treats, every now and then I'll bring a banana (thanks to the supermarket that are throwing them in the bin), which is pretty hilarious to have 4 smacking chicken pecking away at a banana :)

The only thing that maybe seems a bit off is that the black one has slight streaks of droppings on her butt-feathers, but I haven't noticed any diarrhea-droppings in the coop.

I've considered maybe she has worms, but then when my cat had worms it was very lethargic, but the hen isn't, at all. Any ideas? Thanks!

Are there any extra vitamins added to you grain mix? I know sometimes mixing your own can leave some deficiencies if you aren't careful. They could be slightly deficient in protein, I'm a fan of about 18% for a daily intake.

Most eggs laid without shells have to do with either stress or a glitch in the system. With stress they come out before they are ready. I don't believe they are ever from a calcium deficiency as hens will pull calcium out of their bones if it's needed, a calcium deficiency is usually expressed as poor shell quality or egg eating.

Many hens stop laying during weather extremes, the heat of summer and the coldest of winter will cause pauses in some. Also some hens, especially if not of egg production breeds will be inconsistent layers that start and stop a lot. If she's acting fine I wouldn't worry too much. She will probably begin when the temperatures cool down.

there's vitamin A,C and E as well in the supplement I'm giving. I'll try adjusting the mix for more protein.

Thanks for you reply!

exclusively shellless eggs (which are promptly eaten) from our black one
sad.png
temperatures dropped a lot, it is between 10 and 15°C, plus they get a good amount of protein. could it be that the hen has a genetic defect from birth? we're not sure anymore whether it was her who laid the eggs in the beginning, might have been a sperber.

They can have a defective shell gland, if it doesn't straighten out in a month or so it might be chronic. I haven't had one with that trouble though. Is she a high strung nervous hen? The act and feeling of egg production could be stressing her out as well and she just has to get used to it.

hm, hopefully it is just that. she's not a nervous hen (nothing compared to the white one), actually I think she is the most intelligent of the four. I'll see. thanks for your replies!

I've been reading we can actually prevent molting to ensure ability to lay longer. Is molting necessary or should we prevent if possible??
16 hrs of daily light, extra calcium from oyster or egg shells and several other tricks I found.
Our girls aren't laying yet-still have about a month left and 4 wks before switching to layer feed

You shouldn't try to prevent molting, it's a necessary rest for a hen that has used up all her reserves and still needs new feathers to keep her warm during winter. Your birds younger than a year won't molt until next year, so it isn't even a concern their first laying season.

Back
Top Bottom