Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
Did you get both groups of birds from the same source? Sometimes it depends on the focus of the breeder or hatchery whether their birds will be exceptional layers, no matter the breed. If one doesn't breed for it or cull for it within their breeding flock, there likely won't be as many great layers in the flock. Some hatcheries focus more on laying with their production breeds but not as much in the individual dual purpose breeds...those they will just breed for the breed, most likely.

I've gotten all the younger girls from the same hatchery. Some lay well the others, nothing. We have increased the light to them and are waiting to see if that causes a change. Guess it's a waiting game from here. Bummer!

My 29 week old Minorca hasn't begun laying although she has been squating for me for weeks. The other hens I got at the same time have been laying since August. They are free ranging on a suburban lot but i'm sure there is no hidden nest. Ideas? Thanks.

My 29 week old Minorca hasn't begun laying although she has been squating for me for weeks. The other hens I got at the same time have been laying since August. They are free ranging on a suburban lot but i'm sure there is no hidden nest. Ideas? Thanks.
some birds just take longer to lay than others. I am not familiar with Minorca's, but larger fowl take longer to mature. I had a large EE that didn't start paying until almost a year!

I went to my local feed store, and here is the information I got from their chicken expert. When chickens molt, they need much more protein in the their diets to make more feathers (which are mostly protein) and to lay eggs. So a solution is to increase their protein intake. She advised me to change there feed from the Purina 15% protein to another brand that is 20%. She also suggested that I throw them mealworms much more regularly to boost their protein. That can get expensive, so she suggested raising mealworms to boost their protein all year long at a minimal cost.

Three weeks after changing their feed and giving them a handful of mealworms every day (I have 7 barred rocks), their production has gone from 1-2 eggs per day back up to the 4-5 per day. I've always used lighting on timers to augment the daylight during the winter months so their 'day' is normal hours versus shortened hours.

So far, this is working, and thought I'd post. Good luck!

My fav. answer for why several of my chickens aren't laying is...drum roll please....they are free ranging and are laying in the yard..Thank you! I didn't think of that and I should have, given the fact that I have seen them lay in other places when they were in their coop only - like on the floor, so I will start checking the yard as well..Thanks for the heads up!

I have 7 chickens. Three of them (one RIR, 2 BO) are 2 1/2 years old and have always laid year round with at least 5 eggs a week. I also have 4 (2 sex links, 2 easter eggers) that are 1 1/2 years old who lay very consistently. Suddenly in late September everyone quite laying and I haven't had a single egg since. I had let one of my BO hatch some chicks and then she laid maybe 2 eggs and stopped. Some of them were then molting, but that is over. We have had some cold weather (live in Colorado), but that doesn't usually stop them and we have a new dog that we got in late October that likes to charge the run, but not every day. Should I chalk it up to age and cold? I don't know what to look for as far as illness goes. Their poop is normal. This has never happened before.

I went to my local feed store, and here is the information I got from their chicken expert. When chickens molt, they need much more protein in the their diets to make more feathers (which are mostly protein) and to lay eggs. So a solution is to increase their protein intake. She advised me to change there feed from the Purina 15% protein to another brand that is 20%. She also suggested that I throw them mealworms much more regularly to boost their protein. That can get expensive, so she suggested raising mealworms to boost their protein all year long at a minimal cost.

Three weeks after changing their feed and giving them a handful of mealworms every day (I have 7 barred rocks), their production has gone from 1-2 eggs per day back up to the 4-5 per day. I've always used lighting on timers to augment the daylight during the winter months so their 'day' is normal hours versus shortened hours.

So far, this is working, and thought I'd post. Good luck!
My poultry man suggested dry cat or dog food for more protein.

I have 7 chickens.  Three of them (one RIR, 2 BO) are 2 1/2 years old and have always laid year round with at least 5 eggs a week.  I also have 4 (2 sex links, 2 easter eggers) that are 1 1/2 years old who lay very consistently.  Suddenly in late September everyone quite laying and I haven't had a single egg since.  I had let one of my BO hatch some chicks and then she laid maybe 2 eggs and stopped.  Some of them were then molting, but that is over.  We have had some cold weather (live in Colorado), but that doesn't usually stop them and we have a new dog that we got in late October that likes to charge the run, but not every day.  Should I chalk it up to age and cold?  I don't know what to look for as far as illness goes.  Their poop is normal.  This has never happened before.

Mine stopped in September and just started up again on Christmas Eve. I was told it was the light. I also switched to organic feed. Not sure if that helped, but the timing was coincidental. Good luck.

Ok,
Half of my flock is almost 3 years old, the other half is almost 2. I provide light at night, feed them layer feed from the local co-op (ground corn, oats, additives, roasted soybeans, etc.) and good table scraps (friut, bread, oatmeal, etc.), they seem healthy, and they get lots of fresh air and water. Still, I am getting 5 eggs every day, out of the 18 layers we own. Do I need to provide them with more light? Do they need more light at night? My mom tells me they are getting old, but they are mostly Black Star birds that are supposed to lay for at least 3 years. They were very produceful, the first batch started laying at 20 weeks. Are they too old? 2 of them are Leghorn layers but I only get 1 white egg per day. The coop is kept pretty clean and they have plenty of room. What do any of you think is wrong? I read the article, thanks for posting it, but I still don't know. My egg customers are hoping for more eggs per week, because I used to sell 13 dozen per week, now it is down to about 4 or 5. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom