Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
This is the first time I am trying to post something, so I am apologizing in advance if I mess something up!

My hens have stopped laying several months ago and I am positive that it is stress related. Several months ago a coyote got into the coop and killed most of my chickens, leaving me with 4.
sad.png
I relocated the hens while building a new improved hopefully coyote/predator proof area. In the temp. area the coyotes got 2 more so I only have 2 of the original. I have since gotten a few more young hens and they have now been returned to their new, improved area about 3 weeks ago. They have not yet begun to produce any eggs. They get hen scratch, layer crumbles or pellets, oyster shells and some table scraps. They always have fresh water available. How long after a stressful time might they begin to lay again? They all seem happy and healthy. There are now 5 hens and 2 roosters. (1 rooster was supposed to be a hen <G> and the other a gift). I want to do what is best for rmy girls (and boys). Any suggestions are welcome!

Finally, my chicks started laying, aftere reading all the comments generous folks have sent. I added a bright light along with my red heat light, and changed the feed to increase the protein and fat content. I give them a bucket of treat in the AM, which consists of scratch feed, black oil seed, oyster shell all mixed up well.
They started laying eggs just a week later and now they are getting larger every day.
BEST of luck to all of you.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Ok. First post. I should have asked about this whole thing a while ago probably but I'm just...lazy or something I guess. This is a whole windy story, I apologize. I have three ladies that were all hatched in March. In about September or so, I was figuring they'd start laying. One day around that time my husband found an egg just laying randomly in the middle of the yard. Then the next day in another spot. Then, a few days with no eggs. Then one day, I opened the door to the coop to let them out and Agatha ran top speed to a little spot in the corner of the yard and sat down and refused to move, so I figured, oh that's where the eggs are. After she went in for the night, we checked and sure enough they were there. We took the eggs, then we had a week or something with no eggs. Then she layed in the nest box - yay! And then another girl started laying for about a week, and then finally, one glorious day we had eggs from all three. And then it just...stopped. I think the late bloomer never layed again, the middle maybe layed for another few days, the first girl went for about a week or two and then we have never had an egg since. Probably the last egg we got was early October. So this was all before it got cold or the day length really started decreasing dramatically.

Thoughts?

I have a black sex link hen that is about 6-7 months old and has not produced one egg yet. She has only been around the 2 male silver dorking roosters for maybe 3 months. She has still not laid anything. Any advice? #frustrated...

Quote:
For the young pullet it basically comes down to food, water, and light. I would assume that she is getting adequate nutrition and clean water. Was there any supplemental light used? The days have been getting shorter since June, and from here on out will start getting longer until June.

Within the last few days, probably 8 of my on-vacation hens have started back laying again, post-molt and/or post-broody. Got 13 eggs today, even without two of those hens I know are laying, producing anything today, so the total could have been higher. From 3-8 up to 13+ is a relief, but they all got a nice long rest and hopefully, their bodies are now rejuvenated.

I just was wondering if all the people who have had hens that are not laying are using the new packaged "pink" purina
layena feed. I noticed since the bag changed so has my hens egg production. When noticing how many people's hens
have decreased or stopped laying was wondering about the feed.....so just a FYI poll...are the layena feeders more
prone to the decrease in egg production??????
thanks

Im using a 16 percent complete feed from a local mill and Im not pleased out of 48 birds I get 25 a day... Im thinking Ill swith to a commercial chicken feed and try that... My thoughts are that this feed is mixed by the ton and the results may be lpus or minus a few points.. I have light etc and have been doin this since 1992... I also agree to up the protein and the fat in winter I usually switch to a 20 percent in the winter and feed oyster a bit... I also feed suet...

Quote:
Nah, I'm using Payback which is a CHS brand feed. I started getting better egg production when 3 things happened: 1. The temperature improved. 2. I started mixing scratch grains so there's a 2:1 or 1:1 layer feed/scratch ratio and 3. Kept the lights on 24 hours. It's not great, but laying improved about 50% from where it dropped. I'm guessing they're back up to about 75% of summer production.

Back
Top Bottom