Why aren't my chickens laying yet?

I'm beginning to wonder about mine as well. I have a bunch of birds and adding light is not an option because they are in chicken tractors in the field. They do not have best boxes yet, I will be building some this week, but I was expecting my first egg at the end of August.
I have some I hatched myself and some from TSC. They should've all been born at the end of March, I think. I also have several brown leghorns that came from the hatchery in May too. The makes are ready to go, but the females run away. The leghorns are outside without a fence. Around the time we thought they would lay, we started them on layer. I recently went back to the feed store and asked their opinion and they said I should try 22% layer so I am for the last 2 weeks.
I have done the finger check thing to see if their bones are wide enough apart to lay and they are not. I'm not sure how to boost their growth. I can try tuna, but I have about 100 birds. Did their growth get stunted somehow early on?

I have my chickens in the shade, the sun isnt beating down on them but it is bright the chickens get up at 6am and go to bed around 8pm do u think this is the problem to why we arent getting eggs.

This is my coop curently its 420 easteren time. Do u think i need more light

I have my chickens in the shade, the sun isnt beating down on them but it is bright the chickens get up at 6am and go to bed around 8pm do u think this is the problem to why we arent getting eggs.

This is my coop curently its 420 easteren time. Do u think i need more light

I doubt you need more light. Are these new chooks or previously laying hens? You've added to a 2 year old thread and given no details about your chooks.

Sorry, i didn't take notice that is was so old. They have never laid before i got them this year around easter i believe a little before easter. They are on layer crumbles right now, and oyster shells from time to time. 2 days ago i started to let them free rang in the yard during the day to eat some grass they seem to enjoy it but, we only let them out when we are working out side, just for the fact we want to keep an eye on them for saftey. I jad cedar in thr nesting boxes but read some where that it burns there feet so i switched it out with hay. Is there something im missing. I have 2 road island reds 2 buffs and 2 gollden laced wayndottes

If they were chicks when you got them then it is perfectly normal for them to not be laying yet, but they might start at anytime. If they were full size birds then you have to look closer at what they problem is.
If you post a pic of one of the RIR I'm familiar enough with those to tell if she is egg laying age.

If they are investagating nest, getting redder in the combs and wattles and squatting for you or each other then they are close to laying. There is also a possibility that you have 6 roosters, though that would be very unusual

okay, thanks so much for answering my post i just wanted to make sure im doing the right things and not missing n e thing. Ill check back in a week or so let u know if i got n e

Hey guys just checkin back in, today i finally got my first 3 eggs.!!!! Yay!!!!! I do have a question though. Is there n e thing i have to do with fresh collected eggs. Ive heard somthing about candeling but not sure i know what thats for. Do i wash them can i eat the first few eggs thanks guys for the help

Back
Top Bottom