Why did i let my broody bantam frizzle hatch in the winter?

christinethemac

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Ok, so I let my bantam frizzle hatch 4 chicks. It's been in the 20's at night, 40's in the day so I brought her and the eggs in the house during the last few weeks. They are in a good sized cage in the laundry room. Yesterday all 4 hatched. Should I continue to keep them in the house for the next 8 weeks or put her and the chicks outside in the coop with the rest of the flock? I could put the whole cage in the coop and keep them separated from flock if I need to or is it just too cold? I do have the option for heat in the coop if necessary. First timer here so any advice is appreciated.
b1.jpg

OMG!! So cute. I just let my leghorn hatch 2 eggs. One of the chicks died. They are outside separated from the rest of the flock. I'm in Ohio and the temps are similar. This is my first time with a broody. I have been worried but they seem to be doing fine.

Thanks for your response! Is there any supplemental heat in your coop? Do you let the hen out on occasion or just leave her in with chicks all the time?

I'm thinking of doing that also. This way we get to watch the chicks and play with them more also. If she'll let us! Is it ok to hold them and just let her be mad about it? Is it ok to let her outside with the flock for a bit and leave the chicks inside? Sorry, so many questions.

I'm thinking of doing that also. This way we get to watch the chicks and play with them more also. If she'll let us! Is it ok to hold them and just let her be mad about it? Is it ok to let her outside with the flock for a bit and leave the chicks inside? Sorry, so many questions.
Yes you can hold them... she will be upset over it but i hold all mine so they are used to me and the momma is used to it for her next hatch. Depending on her breed(not to sure on frizzles) they can be protective and pecky but theu get over it over time. Lol
Though i have a brooder area in my coop so they are usuly in there and never leave the nursery until they are a little older...
But everyone has their own ways of doing things, and opinions.
Hope this all helps. (Again all my opinions and experiences)

Back
Top Bottom