Why did my chicken die?

Chickenma2021

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Ontario, Canada
2 days ago, my chicken hazel passed away. The way she died is making me ask a lot of questions but I was hesitant to post this because I wanted to stop worrying.
last week hazel was showing symptoms of a cold or a respiratory infection. She had trouble breathing, and her breathing sounded very wet. She then seemed to recover just fine. On Saturday I let her free range with the flock while I supervised. Randomly, she started to have trouble breathing and was sneezing over and over. She then went blue and couldn't breathe at all and died. I was there the whole time and she was not choking on food or water, but that liquid that I was hearing in her breath before. I was thinking maybe she had fluid in her lungs? Does anyone have feedback on what possibly happened? Anything helps đź’—

Hard to know exactly what was going on with your hen Hazel for sure without a necropsy, which a state vet can perform. She may have had a respiratory disease, or she could have had some crop problem, and crop contents were coming back up into her throat causing gurgling and a sound of wetness, and sneezing. If her crop had been enlarged, full and not emptying overnight, then an impacted or sour crop may have been her issue. Most respiratory diseases can spread and make carriers of the flock, so if you hear or see another chicken having symptoms, testing can be done to see what is going on. Sorry for your loss.

Hard to know exactly what was going on with your hen Hazel for sure without a necropsy, which a state vet can perform. She may have had a respiratory disease, or she could have had some crop problem, and crop contents were coming back up into her throat causing gurgling and a sound of wetness, and sneezing. If her crop had been enlarged, full and not emptying overnight, then an impacted or sour crop may have been her issue. Most respiratory diseases can spread and make carriers of the flock, so if you hear or see another chicken having symptoms, testing can be done to see what is going on. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for the information. From what you said and some other things I didnt list, it was probably a crop problem or a respiratory disease.

Back
Top Bottom