Why didn't anyone warn me about the meat bird smell?

I personally think it is because of your username
lol.png
just kidding, maybe a fan would help with the stink.

Quote:
Perhaps the OP has an overly sensitive sense of smell, if so...... yeah noooo chickens or meat birds, just might be too much.

Quote:
As a processor, I have found that some Cornish stink to high heaven as they come in, and others smell like a normal layer hen. The birds that are cooped up and left to wallow in their feces are the smelly ones. The ones in moveable tractors smell more tolerable.

Mine usually only sleep in their tractor, I let them free range, they spend a lot of time in the woods or under the Ole Elderberry tree.

May be true, may be not, but saw in a thread earlier that Purina feed created less smelly poo than Dumor feed (which I use). A few others on that thread agreed, but who knows. I know in other animals, feed makes a difference - whether it will make a noticeable one, who knows?

As for scalding, I just processed a roo with my mother-in-law a month or so ago, and because I wanted the feathers, I wouldn't let her scald it. After we plucked it, she said she would never scald another chicken again - it was easier to dry plucked, and it didn't stink. My cousin dry plucked all of hers as well, which is where I got the idea I could get away with it. I have no basis for comparison though, just sharing my experience as well as my MIL's input.

Hopefully it will be worth it in the end!

Quote:
As a processor, I have found that some Cornish stink to high heaven as they come in, and others smell like a normal layer hen. The birds that are cooped up and left to wallow in their feces are the smelly ones. The ones in moveable tractors smell more tolerable.

Oh yeah for sure, I see some set-ups where the birds stay in one large area the whole time, which in itself isn't bad but they need to clean more often. It's a pretty simple formula............... clean chickens= no smell............... dirty chickens = a stronger odor.

Quote:

thumbsup.gif
:

Since we knew nothing when we started with our meat chickens we put them outside too young and free-ranged them. Worked out beautifully.
big_smile.png
Limited the smell and made for some very happy and tasty chickens.

I'm convinced a lot of issues with CX's are more with how they're raised then the actual breed.

Quote:

:

I'm convinced a lot of issues with CX's are more with how they're raised then the actual breed.

Very true sooo very true.

Back
Top Bottom