Why do Italians breed California quail

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
So I live in northern Italy, but I was born In the U.S. when I moved to Italy I found something that almost no one could guess, well I think at least. Italians back a long time ago had really good trading roots with Australia so that why Australian animals are so commonly seem here, and I have some Australian breeds of birds a well. But I'm confused why there's Italians who are breeding California quail like it's the biggest honor in the world. Breeders here literally put sooooo much time into selection of nicest color and nicest calls and only breeding the best quality California quail, it's literally insane. But how did they get California quail, like in America you need permits to own and breed them, but in Italy you don't. That's because their not native, but does anyone have any idea on how they got here into Italian breeders care?

like in America you need permits to own and breed them, but in Italy you don't.
This doesn't sound unusual to me. I've seen that in other country like th U.S. literally anyone can buy and own an emu, but here in their native Australia you have to have the highest native animal license and meet set keeping requirements. Countries will often go to efforts to protect their native animals.

I don't really know the answer to your question, sorry. Potentially the Valley quail came from here in Aus?

This doesn't sound unusual to me. I've seen that in other country like th U.S. literally anyone can buy and own an emu, but here in their native Australia you have to have the highest native animal license and meet set keeping requirements. Countries will often go to efforts to protect their native animals.

I don't really know the answer to your question, sorry. Potentially the Valley quail came from here in Aus?
Ok, I'm going down the rabbit hole of quail and just thought it was interesting. I'm actually going to be getting a pair of California quail next month so that I can be one of few breeders in Italy to help grow the numbers here.

When I was in New Zealand, there were CA quail all over the place. I'm willing to bet that they're common enough in Australia that they went over to Italy along with a lot of the Australian livestock.

There are plenty of people who breed animals for show, prestige, ornament, etc. Coturnix quail were originally bred in Japan as songbirds.

Back
Top Bottom