Why Do SSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
In my state, it is legal to SSS, but not for birds of prey. You're not supposed to kill any bird of prey unless they're a threat to you. But if one happens to be in your possession by accident or by trapping, the game warden will come and get it. I don't know what he'd do with it afterwards though. There's no one to tell when it's a natural predator, and you're under no legal obligation to seek out and inform animal owners that you killed their trespassing animal.

And frankly, if I shoot someone's dog, it's because they're a risk to my own animals. So I'd definitely SSS. For example, my neighbors with the dogs who have attacked my chickens countless times, I don't think I'd never tell them I shot their dogs, unless I was angry and couldn't hold my tongue. Why would I bother? It's not that I don't stand by what I'm doing, it's just that talking myself blue in the face for a year did nothing, so why would I do it after I shot their dogs? That makes no sense to me at all because it's just going to stir up more drama. I'd just take a picture of the dog where it was killed on my property for my own records and destroy the body in the most convenient way for me.

Quote:
Tell that to the old guy in Texas who got grilled by the media and received numerous death threats from idiots not even involved for legally protecting his livestock from those two huskies.

Here's the reason I am in favor of SSS. I posted this on another thread a while back, but it fits here nicely.

I used to agree with you until I read on different threads here about the insane neighbors some people have. You might shoot their dog and let them find out and the next you know your dog is shot while in his yard, your chickens are murdered, your house is set on fire, your kids are bullied at achool.

Call me a coward or call me a realist, but there are a lot of people that shouldn't have too much information about what you do or are planning to do to protect your property​

Quote:

This is a valid point too.
Not only are you saving yourself a long lecture about how a predator/pet/pest has more right to eat than you do to have your animals protected, you're saving yourself a lot of grief in other ways.
Nothing starts drama like someone getting ticked off about their "little angel" being put down (never mind that "little angel" just killed half or all of your flock JUST FOR FUN!)
I stand behind everything I have done, but I am not broadcasting it to every neighbor within ear shot either.
I haven't had to dispose of anyone's pets recently, but I have in the past.
I don't feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have the brains to keep their animals on their property!

Quote:
The third S is usually done to avoid unnecessary "retaliation" from the irate/unstable/holier-than-thou "victims". Some people that feel that they should get even by doing something like killing the animals that their dog was shot for bothering. Or killing the person that shot their dog. Some people are just better off thinking that fido just ran away.

I will tell the owners if i know they can handle it.

When I was a youngun growing up in Kansas, if a neighbor shot your dog for chasing his cows/chickens etc., you thanked him for saving you having to shoot your own dog when "rover" went bad. Times have changed, so I have to go with SSS now, although if you do the Toss in Weeds, it feeds the other predators that would otherwise go for your chickens.

I can honestly see both sides of the SSS controversy.

I feel that I have a responsibility to notify my neighbors if their dogs ever attacked my animals. Personally, for me, I couldn't just pretend I didn't know anything. I also know my neighbors, and they are kind and responsible. They raise Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and train them for sport and S&R in the field across the road from our property. We have never had a problem because even when off leash their dogs are very well-trained and they keep them in control. When our chickens free-range, we put them on the back side of the barn so they will be less of a temptation. We basically work together on this one. We are blessed to have such good neighbors.

After reading so many stories here in the P&P forum, that is not always the case. If I had neighbors that I felt would become dangerous to me or my own then yes, I would SSS and not give it a second thought.

Personally I wouldn't hide the fact we shot someones dog. I would feel like I was being deceptive....especially if they came around looking for their dog. But, that is just me and my nature.....I treat people how I want to be treated - a great way to live...and I happen to live in a very very wonderful place with the best neighbors (which are all at least a mile away
smile.png
) and we all are a very close little woodland neighborhood. If we were to shoot and kill a dog then I can betcha that we have already warned the owners that it is being a pest to us or killing our livestock. I would always give a dog owner one chance to make it right and do the right thing and if it continued and I had to kill the dog, well, it woudln't be my fault at all and I would most definatly let them know what happend. My dogs run free in this big ol country side and if one of mine go over to someones house and do damage....well, that is my dog and my responsibility and I have to submit myself to what they feel is best...vice versa.....That is just me though......I wouldn't be scared at all to tell someone this.

Quote:
Actually, I believe most people would see ethics as "the right thing to do."

"Nice thing to do" would be just good manners, although that fits as well.

And I purposely avoided telling folks they were being unethical. I said for me, the ethical thing to do, based on my personal code of ethics, is to not do anything I feel I need to hide from people. That includes the last S in the SSS.

All that said, I think it is clear there needs to be better legislation out there. If I shoot my neighbor's dog, and I know whose dog it is, I should be required by law to inform him or the authorities or at the very least not hide the fact. Then it becomes a matter of legality rather than morality. I do think it sounds like a good cause for the ASPCA. I had heard of this happening before, but no idea this was such a common practice until reading this forum.

But this is all just my opinion. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I don't intend to argue with anyone about it. Hot button issues like this, it is always better to just state your opinion and not get into an argumentative back-and-forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom