Why do we love chickens so much?

i love my girls because i watch them blossom. I get them from the battery cages and take them home. they arrive emaciated, some with broken wings and bright green bruises, huge combs that cover their eyes so they can only see out of one eye. Some of them have some white downy fluff on but most are bald. Some cannot peck at the food because they have had their beaks cut so horrendously and have to be hand fed until their get the hang of free ranging and gradually wear down the beak to a more normal shape. sometimes their claws are so long it makes their feel look at least twice as large. Seeing them take their first terrified steps, is amazing. Watching them feel the sun on their skin as they quickly plop themselves down on the ground to sunbathe is so special and seeing the look of bliss on their face when they have their first dustbath is incredible. but the most wonderful thing is when they start taking you for granted and you know they have left their old life and memories behind.

They have 'their' people, and are not above fighting over you for perching and and a petting on your lap.
It makes me feel so special when chickens get jealous over me...
hide.gif

We just finished up our first year in raising our girls. Who would have thought we would be raising chickens??? I can be depressed and go outside and they make me laugh. It is so uplifting to see them come running to see you. I know them by the sounds they make. I love it when they follow (get in your way) you to the barn, garden, etc. I love my girls!!

Lisa :)

As Chicken Guardians, we are all blessed that the work involved in keeping chickens is so minimal in contrast to the vast rewards. Their hearts beat just like ours and, as such, should be treated with dignity. Like humans, they simply want to spend time with their families. When you treat a chickens' life with respect, you are rewarded with an animal that most chicken farmers never see and most chickens never become. I believe nurturing life helps nurture ones' soul.
Raising chickens for meat or eggs in battery cages is disgusting and should be outlawed. I truly believe that the misery of the bird directly affects the health of the person eating it. Although I am not a vegetarian, I believe that not just Americans but the world as a whole consumes way too much meat. Banning battery cage-raised chickens would free up millions of acres previously used for growing grain for chicken feed and could be converted to growing veg/fruit for humans. Eating meat 2-3x/week isn't only plenty, but will definitely save your family money.
FYI: I do raise 12 meat chickens and purchase a butchered cow and pig each year for our meat supply. I do eat meat but if it comes down to going without or buying meat from an animal who had never seen the sun, felt the earth beneath its' feet, or smelled fresh-cut grass - I see that as a line I, a fellow animal, will not cross.
These are my views and I do not expect everyone to agree but I do believe the each and everyone should atleast look into animal rights, educate themselves, and find out where your views stand. It's easy to buy "slave meat/eggs" when you choose not to open your eyes to what is really going on. Afterwards, if the idea of battery raised chickens doesn't offend you, buy as much as you like.
hc

They are very meditative, I love sitting in the yard watching them peck peck peck all around me, its peaceful.

I think more than any of my other animals I don't expect them to act in accordance to my wishes:
the cats are expected to stay off the counters, not scratch the furniture, poop in a certain place,
the dogs are expected to be polite, stay off the furniture, obey my commands, not tug on the leash,
the chickens are allowed to just be chickens and that makes me feel more relaxed around them.

They give me food (and are food), my plants love their poop, they clean up kitchen scraps

I also like the concept of having chickens. I have always cooked, canned, sewn, grown food and done other homey things. They fit into my concept of myself as being self reliant and resourceful.

They are soft and fun to pet

They are so funny - we love watching them fight over meal worms and beg to be let out to free range

But I think the #1 reason I love my chickens so much is that
THEY PUT THEMSELVES TO BED BETTER THAN MY OWN CHILDREN!
lau.gif

Anytime I'm sad I watch this: http://tinyurl.com/93ranef

Last edited:
Chickens are just awesome, they look so cute when you have a treat....clucking and making happy noises....Have always been a chicken person...I love they way they jump on my back to roost when I'm trying to rake out their area....God knows they get a little heavy....My Daddy raised SLW's in the 60's that's why I chose this breed...but I also have my little free range Bantams Bert, Ernie, Henny and Penny....they come for food every am and jump up on the picnic table crow and peer into the kitchen window until they get fed....not to mention they pick all of the bugs out of my organic garden...What's Not to Love about a chicken?

I have always been an animal person. When I first looked into chickens, I thought they would be more like fish. Aloof, mindless, zombies. The older they got, the more of their spirit and intelligence came out. I feel so at peace each night when I go out and sit with them while they get ready to roost. My little OEGb hens will tap me on the foot to be picked up. The wild noises coming from my hamburgs. The Dark Cornishes, growling as they get comfortable on their roosts. When eveyone is up off the floor and preening, I shut off the light and let my cat in to do some mousing while the chickens chirp their goodnights. There are very few things in this world that bring me the inner peace like watching my chickens being chickens.
If I didn't grow up on a farm, I'ld probably be a vegan and devout member of United Poultry Concerns.

When our chickens were babies, we would let them out to run around the living room (and follow them around with a roll of toilet paper...lol...) Anyway we had a kitty-cave thing that was shaped like a dome tent. The cat used it maybe once and then ignored it, but the baby chicks thought it was the coolest toy ever. They would run in and out of the tent and try to jump/fly to the top of it. They learned to perch on the criss-cross plastic pieces at the top that held the tent shape. Best of all, they would treat it like a sliding board, sliding down the sides and then running around again to get back on top. My daughters and I would sit for hours on end watching them play. I had no idea chickens had so much personality!

Back
Top Bottom