Why does she sit like this?

Dec 22, 2020
Ohio
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
(Her name is Zola, btw). Blue Orpington, about 6 months old, she feels normal. *Has not started laying yet, she was VERY slow to feather in*
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She rests on her hocks and will lean all the way backwards and fall over. She will get up and walk over to the food bowls and such but she's like this 99% of the time
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About a week now
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
 No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
 No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No, unless it's my cockerel, Toast. But I've never seen him mate on her or any other chicken pick at her. She and 7 others (including Toast) were recently integrated with our 1 y/o flock. She was fine for the first couple weeks but now is like this :(
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Layer pellets, water from our water pump (well water). She eats and drinks like any other chicken.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I'm guessing normal because I have not seen any odd looking stool in our run
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing except for keeping a closer eye on her and examining her
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See below
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Medium sized coop and run (I don't know the dimensions), shredded straw/leftover regular straw.

First picture is just before she fell over :(
She immediately picked herself back up though
IMG_20220512_200136444_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220512_200133914_HDR.jpg IMG_20220512_200127272_HDR.jpg IMG_20220512_200119942_MP.jpg

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
(Her name is Zola, btw). Blue Orpington, about 6 months old, she feels normal. *Has not started laying yet, she was VERY slow to feather in*
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She rests on her hocks and will lean all the way backwards and fall over. She will get up and walk over to the food bowls and such but she's like this 99% of the time
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About a week now
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
 No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
 No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No, unless it's my cockerel, Toast. But I've never seen him mate on her or any other chicken pick at her. She and 7 others (including Toast) were recently integrated with our 1 y/o flock. She was fine for the first couple weeks but now is like this :(
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Layer pellets, water from our water pump (well water). She eats and drinks like any other chicken.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I'm guessing normal because I have not seen any odd looking stool in our run
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing except for keeping a closer eye on her and examining her
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See below
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Medium sized coop and run (I don't know the dimensions), shredded straw/leftover regular straw.

First picture is just before she fell over :(
She immediately picked herself back up though
View attachment 3104895
View attachment 3104896View attachment 3104898View attachment 3104900
I almost forgot to add, she used to have really droopy wings before this. Her wings would hang down all the way to the ground and she wouldn't really try to pick them up. Still acted normal though. Her wings aren't drooping anymore since she started acting like this

Are you positive this bird is eating well?
Do you feed treats?
How long have you had this bird?

He said she was recently integrated into your year old flock.
How long ago did you get this one along with the other ones she came with?

He said she was recently integrated into your year old flock.
How long ago did you get this one along with the other ones she came with?
I got her as a day old from Meyers hatchery. A little over 6 months ago (December 12th). They were integrated about a month ago. (~3 1/2 weeks). She was fine for the first week/week and a half but then started with both of her wings drooping to the ground. Then she started sitting on her hocks and being unbalanced.
Are you positive this bird is eating well?
Do you feed treats?
How long have you had this bird?
Yes, I am 100% sure she's eating just fine. I see her eat with the other chickens and she has a full crop. Its empty in the morning before I feed them. So I don't think it's a crop problem. The only treats they've had is clumps of grass since their cooped up in their run because we've had a hawk hanging around. As said above, I've had her ever since a day old so 6 months

I got her as a day old from Meyers hatchery. A little over 6 months ago (December 12th). They were integrated about a month ago. (~3 1/2 weeks). She was fine for the first week/week and a half but then started with both of her wings drooping to the ground. Then she started sitting on her hocks and being unbalanced.

Yes, I am 100% sure she's eating just fine. I see her eat with the other chickens and she has a full crop. Its empty in the morning before I feed them. So I don't think it's a crop problem. The only treats they've had is clumps of grass since their cooped up in their run because we've had a hawk hanging around. As said above, I've had her ever since a day old so 6 months
What exactly do you feed?
What brand and type of food?

Back
Top Bottom