Why have a rooster? new Pg 10 video pg 13

Hi Cetawin,

I read this thread last year, and was so taken by Lancelot's story that I named my Delaware rooster Lancelot also. And he lived up to the name - in March I saw Lancelot running after something that turned out to be a coyote, so I got a hoe and followed Lancelot, who was running/flying trying to catch the coyote!! unfortunatelly we could not get to him and we lost the hen... but what a brave rooster!!!

and afterwards I saw something that really left me puzzled. After I counted all the chickens and made sure everybody was safe, I let them out again, under my supervision. As soon as I left them out of the pen, Lancelot took his hens to the very place where the coyote grabbed the hen, that had a bunch of scattered feathers. they all looked at the feathers for a while, then all ran to the place in the fence where the coyote jumped away, stayed there for a while, and then came back to me, and stayed very close to me all day long - actually, for a week or so, Lancelot would bring them all close to me...

Oh how wonderful! Lancelot will be honored to know he has been honored and I shall tell him too. I so love my boys. Do post a picture of your Lancelot in this thread for us to see. Speckledhen's Delaware roo is a big ole' love. He absolutely fell in love with my 15 yr old daughter on a recent visit to her house....Cheyenne went in to see the birds and came out carrying Isaac and Cyn and I both about had a heart attack. LOL

And I do mean he really fell in love

He also learned to love the art of relaxing with a beautiful gal

So even though this thread is about my beautiful brave Blue Orp, Lancelot...we have a special place in our hearts for Delaware boys so do share your Lancelot with us. :)

Oh how wonderful! Lancelot will be honored to know he has been honored and I shall tell him too. I so love my boys. Do post a picture of your Lancelot in this thread for us to see. Speckledhen's Delaware roo is a big ole' love. He absolutely fell in love with my 15 yr old daughter on a recent visit to her house....Cheyenne went in to see the birds and came out carrying Isaac and Cyn and I both about had a heart attack. LOL

And I do mean he really fell in love

He also learned to love the art of relaxing with a beautiful gal

So even though this thread is about my beautiful brave Blue Orp, Lancelot...we have a special place in our hearts for Delaware boys so do share your Lancelot with us. :)
Oh what a beautiful boy! Here is my Lancelot - but I tear up thinking of him, because I had to find a home for him - he was being very aggressive towards my Brahma rooster (also a very good, sweet boy), and I had to rehome one of them - I was able to find a home for Lancelot, but not for "Big Foot", the Brahma, so I tearfully had to let Lancelot go... but he's in a good place, and I asked his new owner that if she ever gets tired of him, to let me know and I'll find a way to bring him back... sniff sniff

I'm sorry you had to find another home for him. Sometimes, you have to make a sad choice for the good of the flock. Handsome guy! My own Isaac and Suede would probably fight to the death if they ever actually got together.

Oh he is a handsome boy indeed. I am saddened to hear you had to rehome him...a shame you could not keep them separate and give them their own girls. I understand about not being able to keep them all...I was very blessed with Lancelot accepting Hector. They had a little scuffle yesterday over one of the girls but I broke up the silliness. That was their first tiff and I was surprised to see Hector actually initiate hostilities.

Delaware roos seem to be their own man type and they are capable of andling a large group of girls....they are without a doubt good free range roos.

Thank you for sharing Lancelot with us. :)

Bravo! To Your Lancelot! He sounds like a wonderful boy.

Exactly the reason I have a big rooster. But it turns out I have another rooster in with him, a red one. But he has to go! He chased after my bantams and pecks some of my hens/ducks/turkeys.

Bravo! To Your Lancelot! He sounds like a wonderful boy.

Exactly the reason I have a big rooster. But it turns out I have another rooster in with him, a red one. But he has to go! He chased after my bantams and pecks some of my hens/ducks/turkeys.

That is a shame about your little red one...pecking order disputes can be rough especially with a second in command roo.

That is a shame about your little red one...pecking order disputes can be rough especially with a second in command roo.

I don't think so. He is a just a mean fart. He pecked at my main roosters babies. Only things he hasn't gone after is me, my horses, or my dogs/cats.
hu.gif

I have posted on this thread about a year ago about keeping my rooster Nubs and thanks to stories I read I did. He is a Cuckoo Marans and his motto is 'to serve and protect' when it comes to his girls. I had a coyote attack 3 months ago and lost 2 of my girls, I ran outside in time to see Nubs in the mouth of a coyote. Needless to say I ran after said coyote who dropped Nubs and ran off. Nubs was alive but missing his lovely tail feathers and most of his wing feathers on one side. I noticed there was blood on one of his tail feathers and thought it was his but realized that it was the coyotes! The clumps of his feathers in a path to where I saw the coyote with him showed that he had been fighting like a trooper! My husband and I love our Nubs but we have decided this week we do need to rehome him as his crow is LOUD and constant - it is really annoying our neighbors (and I have to admit it, us!). It also hasn't helped that he can be aggressive towards me although I have worked out tactics to counteract the attacks! How I wish I could pick him up and give him a cuddle but he is an alpha male through and through! It's gonna be sad day when we say goodbye to him.

Not fair....I guess I am getting my just due of three years with nothing? LOL

Okay so here is what happened tonight...this evening....a bit ago.... ahem

I am talking to husband on the phone and I hear my rooster alarm, I step out the sliding glass door and see everyone running hither and yon and I start scanning the chaos and see a little fox standing on my red cochin...this huge pile of feathers and I start running down the steps screaming and yes cursing....and Lancelot starts pacing right along side me running at this fox...it just sat there looking at me and I kicked him in the face and off my cochin...who bolted up and ran for it. Then Lancelot began chasing the fox back to the woods. Thankfully, Ruby is okay and Lancelot stopped when I called him and came back to me. So now...a new predator must die and the stupid thing is not much bigger than my barn cat. It looks like he ran into the crowd of girls and grabbed at a BO and a NHR but could not catch them so he just jumped up and pancaked my cochin to the ground....he never got a chance to even bite her and I was running at him like a psycho woman and then kicking him in the face. I hope he has one helluva headache later. Look at the feathers.....

IMAG0612.jpg

But my handsome blue boy was not gonna let mama go after that thing alone...no sir buddy, he was going right with me after it. hehehehehe
NICE! You kicked the fox! I had a GSD attack one of my hens. I went after him, grabbed him by the ears (Where I would get bit) and dragged him off my hen, and kicked his butt before dropping him. Hate that dog's owners. I don't mind the dog, he's okay, but when he attacks my chickens, it's showtime!

I have to brag about my brave guy...

He is 6 months old, his father is my Dark Brahma rooster (huge) and his mother is one of my Buff Orps. He is pretty big - 11lb and very sweet towards humans, but a little too rough on the hens, to the point that I had decided to take him to frezer camp.
We used to call him Honey Bunny when he was a chick, because he was this sweet little yellow thing. Well...once he started growing...and growing...and growing... We had to find him a new name, and now he is Hungry Jack.

Two weeks ago, I let the flock out close to the woods, while doing some chores nearby. All of a sudden, I hear Hungry Jack growling and running towards the woods, his hackle feathers up, looking like a deranged wild thing. I was puzzled - why was he doing that - until I see this fox running for his life!!! Awesome guy! He noticed the fox before his father did and there he went!!

Of course my brave cockerel, Hungry Jack, is not going to freezer camp anymore! And actually he's been behaving much better towards the hens, dancing and all.

I love my roosters!

Back
Top Bottom