Why HOA!?

I will be careful. If I have to get them removed, is it best to just give them to a trusted friend? Then I could visit it. And my neighbors are all very kind and not Karen’s thankfully! 😅 Are Indian Runner ducks quiet? I think they are very cute, are have done lots of research on them, so I thought they would make a good pet?

Thanks y’all! I will take your guys advice!❤️
Nope, Indian Runners can be loud, especially the females. In fact, all mallard-derived (domestic) ducks can be loud.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You're taking the advice you were looking for and wanted to hear (how to get away with it) . The wise words have fallen on deaf ears at this point in time.

None the less, enjoy your adventure and all that comes with it! You are the creator of your own reality. ;)

Last edited:
I will be careful. If I have to get them removed, is it best to just give them to a trusted friend? Then I could visit it. And my neighbors are all very kind and not Karen’s thankfully! 😅 Are Indian Runner ducks quiet? I think they are very cute, are have done lots of research on them, so I thought they would make a good pet?

My Runners are loud especially my youngest who are 6 month old. I love to hear them but we don't have close neighbors and thankfully no HOA .
I also have Muscovy and they are very quiet but they do fly so you'll need to clip a wing each fall after their big molt if you don't want to draw attention to having them.
I wouldn't take the risk of losing them because someone heard them and decided to turn you in. . Maybe consider moving :)

Hi. I’m here regarding the HOA and ducks. I want to buy an Indian runner duck, but my neighborhood has an HOA that doesn’t allow birds of any kind. I want to keep at least two or three of them secretly, but I’m scared they are going to find out and fine me. What do y’all recommend I do? Help would be much appreciated.😊
step one: 10 foot privacy fence. step two: "hey doc, can you sign this permission to keep an emotional support bird?"

worked for a relative of mine.

I will second the ‘get elected to the HOA board or lobby to have the rules changed.’ Aside from saving yourself the fines, then you aren’t just helping yourself, you’re helping future duck owners too.

Try the Local Chicken Laws and Ordinances section of the forum. Someone might be able to help you dig up local laws or other HOAs in the area that allow birds that you can use to support lobbying efforts. There will likely be paperwork, but there will be paperwork if you get caught, too.

The best advice is to move out of the HOA

I rescue, rehab and rehome ducks as, in Florida, Wildlife rehabbers cannot take in domestic ducks [dumped pekin drakes, mainly] nor any muscovies. I have had great success rehoming females but very few drakes. I currently have 4 drakes -- 3 muscovies and a noisy pekin.

I do not live in an HOA, which is fortunate as I think HOAs are particularly vigilant looking for rule breaking. I live in a residential area that zoning doesn't allow for any ducks, and the restrictions on keeping chickens are such that I could not keep backyard chickens as I cannot comply with the distance from my house and neighbors' houses for siting a coop. In my County, Code Enforcement are "reactive" not "proactive". That means they act on complaints but do not come looking for trouble. My neighbors are good -- they don't complain because mine are rescues. Neighbors bring their children to come and see the ducks. But that could all change if a neighbor moved and I got a new neighbor that complained.

Living in your HOA, you are at risk of the HOA coming round looking for rule breaking even if your immediate neighbors do not turn you and your ducks in. I doubt that you will get an exception unless your home comes with more than 1 acre of land, as your HOA would look up requirements for duck keeping elsewhere and find that the coup should be further from your home and your neighbors' homes than is possible on smaller plots. There are issues of smell and rodents, as well as noise from ducks. I keep my coop scrupulously free from odor using deep layers of pine shavings and high-quality tarps round the walls and over the roof. I can smell "duck" inside the coop but not outside. When I dig out my coop, I compost the soiled bedding -- it goes in a heap covered in leaves so that the heap itself doesn't smell. I have to be ever vigilant for rats, keep the duck feed in aluminum cans, and at any sign of rats get out snap traps and see them off ASAP. I put the traps in a dog crate so that the ducks are not in danger. Last year I caught 6 or 7 rats -- 4 in one night. Any provisions less than this, would increase the risk of me and my boys being turned into Code Enforcement by neighbors complaining of nuisance.

Living in an HOA, you are liable to have inspections and other less obvious looking out for rule breakers. To keep ducks, you really must move out of the HOA.

Not likely. If the hoa has your duck removed, they'll likely be euthanized.
The fact that you're ok with having ducks not living under the best conditions and freedom and with possible seizure and euthanasia...unfortunatly, maybe ducks aren't in your best interest.

The best advice is to move out of the HOA

Living in an HOA, you are liable to have inspections and other less obvious looking out for rule breakers. To keep ducks, you really must move out of the HOA.

^Truth. You agreed to live under a set of rules and are now willingly violating them.

HOAs are for those who feel that federal, state, county and city laws just aren't enough.

Back
Top Bottom