Why is my hen doing doing this?!!

williedonk

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
I have a 17 week old Gold Star hen that has been laying for about 2 weeks now. When ever I walk up to the flock, This one just stops, squats down a little bit, opens her wings about an inch, and taps her feet a little. Is it nervous? Does it have do anything with it just starting to lay eggs? please help!

It sounds to me like she is going into survival mode and getting ready to defend herself or she is nervous. Have you backed off once she does it or have you kept on walking closer to her?

Both I have walked off and she just walked away and also i have picked her up when she did this.

Maybe she thinks she is defending her nest of eggs...I have seen other birds do that...they hunker down and spread out there wings to "cover their nest" even if they don't have a nest or eggs to protect...:) hope this helps....

She is squatting for you. That's what hens do when they are laying age. It's completely normal and not nervous or threatned by you at all. I belive this is what they do when a rooster mates them.

I have a 17 week old Gold Star hen that has been laying for about 2 weeks now. When ever I walk up to the flock, This one just stops, squats down a little bit, opens her wings about an inch, and taps her feet a little. Is it nervous? Does it have do anything with it just starting to lay eggs? please help!
definately squatting. my Gold Stars just started to, at 17 weeks!
ep.gif
you hens started laying at 15 weeks!! WOWZA!!!

She is squatting for you. That's what hens do when they are laying age. It's completely normal and not nervous or threatned by you at all. I belive this is what they do when a rooster mates them.
yes thats correct my hens do that too

and my rosster when aproching them they do that for him then he mounts them

he geys off they shate their feather and carry on like normal

as far as i can see your hens think your top roo in the pecking order and are submitting to you

Back
Top Bottom