Why is my hen shaking her head

Here's an update on Annie. When the vet first looked in her ears he said they were clean but he went back for a second look. He then saw what looked like ear wax and little white things moving so applied drops to both ears that will kill the live mites and also destroy the eggs. I do not know what he used, it looked like iodine. Now I'm wondering about my other chicks. I'm thinking I should treat them all and remember reading about a wormer that also kills mites. I tried a BYC search but didn't find what I was looking for. I last wormed the flock with Safe Guard last November. Is this too soon to deworm them again? I'll start another string on this too. I am so relieved that it wasn't something serious. Thanks for all your help.

If you had gone back and re-read post #7, you wouldve seen the treatment for ear mites that I mentioned. You wouldve saved yourself some money by not having to take Annie to the vet. In any case, I'm glad Annie is taken care of. It's time to worm your flock with the safeguard as you mentioned.

As I mentioned in my update post - I did use the q-tip but it came out clean. I wanted the vet to take a look in case I missed something which I obviously did because he saw the mites. I don't understand why the q-tip came out clean. I did exactly what you said and am sure I went deep enough - actually too deep because she flinched and tried to pull away. She is doing much better now thank goodness.

As I mentioned in my update post - I did use the q-tip but it came out clean. I wanted the vet to take a look in case I missed something which I obviously did because he saw the mites. I don't understand why the q-tip came out clean. I did exactly what you said and am sure I went deep enough - actually too deep because she flinched and tried to pull away. She is doing much better now thank goodness.

It looks like the vet missed them too on the first inspection, it happens sometimes. Good luck!

This situation went from bad to worse. We got rid of the ear mites but Annie started having watery poops - clear to yellow, nothing solid at all. I treated all of the hens with Corid for five days but that didn't help. She was still violently shaking her head, was eating and drinking but her weight went from 6.4 lbs to 2.8 lbs.She was terribly dehydrated,from the diarrhea I'm sure, and very weak. I ended up taking her out-of-town to an avian vet who kept her for three days. I'm kicking myself for not asking for an itemized statement so I would know what all was done - that was just stupid. She had x-rays, blood work, and more blood work.The vet even sent copies of all the labs and x-rays to a colleague in California who couldn't diagnose anything specific either. The only things that are abnormal are slightly low liver enzymes and low bacteria count. I brought her home yesterday and have her inside so I can keep an eye on her and make sure she eats her mash that has antibiotic sprinkled on top - Enrofloxacin. We are waiting for reports from several other labs done Thursday. She is bright, active, loves the special feed and drinks up a storm; she has put on 1.2 lbs and talks constantly. Her droppings are still a bit watery but much, much better. This is all a great mystery that I hope is solved soon so she can go back with her sisters and do normal chicken things again. If anyone has had a similar situation I would be interested to hear the outcome. I will post our final outcome in case someone else runs up against this seemingly impossible situation. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

This situation went from bad to worse. We got rid of the ear mites but Annie started having watery poops - clear to yellow, nothing solid at all. I treated all of the hens with Corid for five days but that didn't help. She was still violently shaking her head, was eating and drinking but her weight went from 6.4 lbs to 2.8 lbs.She was terribly dehydrated,from the diarrhea I'm sure, and very weak. I ended up taking her out-of-town to an avian vet who kept her for three days. I'm kicking myself for not asking for an itemized statement so I would know what all was done - that was just stupid. She had x-rays, blood work, and more blood work.The vet even sent copies of all the labs and x-rays to a colleague in California who couldn't diagnose anything specific either. The only things that are abnormal are slightly low liver enzymes and low bacteria count. I brought her home yesterday and have her inside so I can keep an eye on her and make sure she eats her mash that has antibiotic sprinkled on top - Enrofloxacin. We are waiting for reports from several other labs done Thursday. She is bright, active, loves the special feed and drinks up a storm; she has put on 1.2 lbs and talks constantly. Her droppings are still a bit watery but much, much better. This is all a great mystery that I hope is solved soon so she can go back with her sisters and do normal chicken things again. If anyone has had a similar situation I would be interested to hear the outcome. I will post our final outcome in case someone else runs up against this seemingly impossible situation. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.
Thank you so much for sharing all this information.
Be interested to know if you found out a clear diagnosis. One of my hens is shaking her head now.

Back
Top Bottom