Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

What type of wormed would you suggest? I can't remember the name but it was a pelleted wormed from TSC.would I be able to see gapeworms? I have been shooting the Tylan down her with a syringe with no needle so I can be sure she gets the full dose and no one gets it that doesn't need it. As far as coccidiosis, wouldn't she be acting lethargic?

he geek in me really like this antibiotic table:

Respiratory infections can also be from E.coli and/o pseudomonas, which can be hard to treat.

-Kathy

What type of wormed would you suggest? I can't remember the name but it was a pelleted wormed from TSC.would I be able to see gapeworms? I have been shooting the Tylan down her with a syringe with no needle so I can be sure she gets the full dose and no one gets it that doesn't need it. As far as coccidiosis, wouldn't she be acting lethargic?
The wormer I use is Safeguard liquid for goats, and when I want to treat all worms, I give 0.23ml per pound orally for five days. One needs to ignore the directions on the bottle because they are for goats, and goats get much less per pound than birds,cats and dogs. As for coccidiosis and lethargy, yes, I would expect her to show some sign that she wasn't feeling well, but I think you mentioned she felt thin, so that's what got me to thinking about other possibilities.

-Kathy

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-strike-iii-poultry-dewormer-1-lb there is the de wormer they got. The thing that gets me is that she is still very active and has a good appetite. This is only my second year with birds but I have years of experience with cattle, horses etc and anything I have seen with an active respiratory infection was lethargic and generally off feed and not feeling well. Having been going on for 3 weeks now, can I be sure it is not contagious? I will start the higher dosage of Tylan this afternoon. How long should I give her to see some improvement? Thank you all sooo much for your help and input!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-strike-iii-poultry-dewormer-1-lb there is the de wormer they got. The thing that gets me is that she is still very active and has a good appetite. This is only my second year with birds but I have years of experience with cattle, horses etc and anything I have seen with an active respiratory infection was lethargic and generally off feed and not feeling well. Having been going on for 3 weeks now, can I be sure it is not contagious? I will start the higher dosage of Tylan this afternoon. How long should I give her to see some improvement? Thank you all sooo much for your help and input!
Can you take her to a vet? No problem if you can't., I also one that can't, so I understand. A vet could check her poop for worms and coccidia, and they could swab her mouth for bacteria, then prescribe an antibiotic if needed.

-Kathy

There aren't any vets in the area that will see her for less than a $45 office fee which will go up from there. I love my ducks but it's very hard to justify while trying to build a house etc. (as terrible as that sounds). I wish I could de worm her with the Ivomec for cattle/swine I already have lol. Would it be wrong of me to give her another 3-4 days on the heavier dose of tylan, look for improvements, then think about culling and re home the other duck? If she was acting sick it would be a simpler decision. I hate to see her not thriving but do not have a way to separate from the chickens (at night. The ducks are free range all day) and I sell the eggs from the chickens so I rather not have them get into any medications which would affect their eggs.

Wonder if there is just something in her environment that she is just much more sensitive too than the others since you not seeing any other symptoms other than a little wheezing which could also be a sensitivity. It's a puzzle.

Back
Top Bottom