Why is there a reduction in egg production after starting fermented feed?

Toodles

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Colorado
I started my flock of 8 on fermented feed exclusively 2 weeks ago. The week prior to switching I got 32 eggs. The first week on fermented I got 24 eggs. The second week I only got 4 eggs. I've fed fermented feed exclusively before without problems to a flock which included 3 members of this flock. My five 10-month-old Comets are the main layers of this flock and have been raised on dry organic layer pellets. I feed the fermented in 2 separate bowls early in the day, they spend the whole day outside foraging.

I'm wondering why egg production has dropped off so sharply. Has the stress of the change caused it? Do I need to keep dry pellets available in a feeder too? The main reason for fermenting is the purported benefits to the chickens and reducing consumption to save on feed costs as I only feed organic and it is expensive.

Are they only getting the FF in mornings and nothing else during the day? I'd consider leaving dry feed out too, or another round of FF, later in the day. Even if they're outside foraging if the forage isn't sufficient or of good enough nutritionally quality, they'll still need to have feed supplemented.

Curious if your flock’s production ramped up again After feeding fermented feed for a while? I’m having the same problem... usually get about 15-20 eggs a day and a week into introducing fermented feed (wheat, oats, corn, peas, flax, kelp, protein/mineral supplement) as well as having grower feed and oyster shell available all the time, the girls only gave me 7 today... I’m hoping they’re just getting used to it and will start laying more again soon?

Back
Top Bottom