Why keep peafowl?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I've probably spent too much time the past few days reading about keeping peafowl, and probably have way too many questions now, but I think the questions may be able to be summarized into this one question - why keep peafowl?

Most of what I've read is...well, to be blunt, pretty disheartening. They sound like very delicate birds who can get sick and die from the slightest imperfection in their environment. They need a very large amount of space if penned, need a large enclosure even if they free-range and will likely fly away and not return if allowed to free-range. And, if allowed to free-range, will likely get onto your roof, your vehicle, or worse, your neighbor's roof or vehicle. Plus the males are extremely loud and will make your neighbors hate you (if you're unfortunate enough to have neighbors). Oh, and then there's the information saying they're not particularly friendly unless you raise them from hatchlings and allow them to imprint on you...but if you do allow them to imprint and your imprinted chick ends up being a male it'll turn aggressive and attack you or other people. Basically, the majority of what I'm reading makes keeping peafowl sound like a terrifying endeavor.

Then I'll see a post or two from someone who has kept peafowl for many years, decades even, and they have wonderful relationships with their peas. Or from people who have dozens of peafowl, or hatch out dozens of peachicks every year. Which has me wondering what you do with peafowl. If they're not friendly like ducks or chickens, are they just ornamental? And what do people do with dozens of ornamental birds who are extremely loud and not particularly friendly? I mean, at least with chickens, you can still eat eggs from an unfriendly hen and can probably find someone who can make a meal from an aggressive rooster. But...people don't eat peafowl do they? So are they just loud, ornamental, potentially dangerous pets like a dog or cat, or macaw?

Sorry for sounding like a debbie downer with these questions. I know peafowl have to have stuff in their "pros" column, but those don't seem to be mentioned as often as the negatives. And honestly, I appreciate that the negatives are mentioned. I often see people listing the pros of keeping ducks and wonder if the pro duck articles contribute to the number of ducks that get dumped off at lakes and ponds. Like how people say that ducks aren't as destructive to lawns or gardens as chickens are. My ducks will happily dig up huge areas of lawn making massive mud holes, and have eaten far more plants in my gardens than chickens ever did. :lol: But I find ducks to be MUCH cuter, more friendly, and far more entertaining than chickens so I don't mind the negatives. :love

You are starting to answer your own questions. Once you start developing your special relationship with her all the negative stuff you read won't matter.
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_8118.JPG
IMG_8150.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_3740 (2).JPG

I loved having my peafowl. I raised a peacock from a baby and he was always friendly but
not a 'sit on your lap' type of pet. I bought him a peahen for a mate and they produced chicks every year once they were old enough. Those chicks sold for $25 each. But the hen would only hatch 3 to 5 chicks a year so they were not money making birds.
They were not as noisy as I expected. Breeding season was the only time I heard much from them.
I kept my peafowl for 4 years and I would still have them today if I had more room. We only have a few trees here in the prairie and none of them are strong enough to hold peafowl. So they lived in the henhouse with my chickens and guineas. They free ranged thru the day and were confined at night. But when my peacock was on the roost and his tail still drug on the floor I knew my home was not what they needed. I sold them to a peafowl farm where they had lots of room and I knew they would be cared for.
But I still miss my beautiful peacock.....

I can't give you advice on keeping your stray peahen. Or getting a cock to go with her. But I can say if you have the room for them they are a pleasure to look at and have. :old

I'm now realizing that my grumpiness may have made it sound like I was asking this/these questions in a "what the heck are you thinking" kind of way. Hopefully that's not the way it was interpreted. I'm hoping there are some positives to keeping peafowl, other than getting to look at the beautiful train feathers on the males. As the days go on, I'm starting to think that our stray peahen's owner might not speak up and then I'll have to decide what direction to go. I've seen a lot of nasty posts on other sites about people keeping peafowl as pets. Owners who are too frustrated with their birds saying they're not worth the trouble and refusing to catch them and bring them back home. Neighbors getting mad about peafowl getting loose and threatening to shoot them. I'm honestly quite shocked and saddened that people are that heartless. This peahen that we're looking after is surprisingly sweet and seems quite smart. Like last night it was getting close to dark and she kept looking at the tree she's been roosting in like she wanted to go to "bed", but our birds were still out so she kept walking around her yard. When we went to put our birds to bed, said "night night time", the chickens and ducks all ran into their respective houses, and the peahen walked over to her tree and flew up to her favorite branch. We were really surprised that she was paying attention to the routines here well enough that she stayed on the ground longer than she appeared to want to. She had gone up to her branch a good hour before our birds went to bed the night before.

So, based on our very limited experience with this one peahen, I feel like there has to be some stuff to put on the "pros" side of a pros and cons list. But then again, maybe she's just being on her best behavior and tricking us. ;)

Where we live there are several "runaway" peafowl here in the desert so I never would've guessed they were all that delicate. Half the people love them, half absolutely hate them. Not much of a middle ground.

I personally have no experience with them, but I do enjoy hearing the ones from our neighbors 2 houses down. I think they sound neat but I'm weird like that. 😂 I have noticed in several photos I've seen of enclosures for them, a lot fence in huge carports for them.

I've been down this road, hubby wanted some until we realized their requirements were more than we wanted to get into, and they would serve no purpose really other than as you said "ornamental".

Who knows what message God wanted to send you with her appearance. BTW, if that is a running bamboo they will hate you for sure. I planted some in the city and had to move to get away from it, it was overtaking my entire yard and I had ground barriers that obviously didn't work. I planted some here on the farm on the bank of the creek for ground erosion and it also works too well. Still, I would love to have some Moso, that stuff is incredible.
We've had a lot of strays show up here over the years. Nothing as fun as peafowl but still. We have several stray cats hanging around lately. One we've decided to call Creeper because it sits at a window on our back deck and stares at us through the window like an absolutely creepy stalker.

I do suspect the neighbors will hate us because of our bamboo...well, maybe not because of the bamboo specifically but it'll be one of the things on their list. :rolleyes: I don't particularly care. We bought our house primarily because of the 100+ acre forest next to us and had an agreement with the old man who owned it that he'd give us "first refusal" if he ever decided to sell. But then his kids put him in a home and sold the land to a timber company, who sold it to a developer. Now instead of looking at 100 yr old hardwood trees we have a big tacky house as the view from most of our windows. And neighbors from NJ. BUT, I worked with a bamboo grower who helped me pick bamboos that only shoot once a year. They may end up popping up all over the place but they're all edible bamboo species and any new shoots that we don't want can get harvested or stepped on. It shouldn't be as bad as the Golden Bamboo that can take over a backyard in a season. And I agree, Moso is a very cool bamboo! I can't resist petting the new Moso culms when I go out to check on them. They feel like velvet! We have some black bamboo and it's velvety too.

Apologies if this has been said already but I raise peafowl because I enjoy watching things grow. I realized that not to long ago while gardening. In the context of peafowl I enjoy buying that uninspiring 4-6 month old bird/pair/trio and watching them change into full adults. I keep ornamental pheasants as well for the same reason. I guess it sounds kind of weird but I think of each of my birds as a work of art with the goal being to make them look and produce their best. The challenge of bringing the birds to that point is the interesting part for me. Some of it's genetics, some of it's diet, and some of it is just the kind of X factor that a little tlc grants.

We've always had peafowl just because they're big, they're pretty and they're personable. They are as much a part of the family as the dogs are. They have never had a pen and are never handled. They range all over the neighborhood but the neighbors seem to like them too. They are fed some whole grain every day just to make sure they stay around, but generally take care of themselves. Their numbers never increase unless we intervine by capturing a chick and raising it in a brooder for several months before release.

Back
Top Bottom