Why raise Bantam chickens?

tcal

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
I raise RIR's and love the eggs. I visited the local trade day yesterday where a few people were selling chickens. One guy was selling BB Red Bantams. They are beautiful and I understand having "pets" but is the main reason to have banty chickens?

pop.gif
Good question.... anyone?

Well originally I knew if I had a couple good silkies or banty cochins I would be able to avoid the incubator and just use them as my broodys. That plan while it does work has also backfired, but I won't go there right now.

I also think a lot of folks in less rural areas are drawn to bantys because they fit in better with a smaller yard, sometimes neighbors etc. And then there is the fact that many, many ppl like to buy the eggs to hatch so the bantys can actually make paying the feed bill for the rest of the flock a little easier.....

Just a couple reasons I know of....

Julie
smile.png

I divided my space in half and keep Standard chickens on one side, and bantams on the other. It is alot more work to clean the big bird side, they are messier........eat a TON more.......poop more........trash the yard and garden more....... and they are not as friendly as my bantams are. After having both for a while now, i have decided to only hatch bantams for myself. I dont mind having to crack 2 eggs to equal the one big egg.

Most people just keep them for exhibition and others for their cute little bodies compared to the standards. Others keep them because they require less space and feed. I just keep them because they are just cute and querkie with their little bodies and my little pekin roo doesnt do damage when he attacks my little brother and sister, they say its kinda cute
lol.png
lol.png

Their chicks are also just so shrimpy and short
droolin.gif

Exellent broodies tooo!

I raise banties for pets and eggs, People love the smaller eggs altho some aren't so small, my cochins lay some lunkers. I chose to keep banties because i can have more and they dont make so much of a mess, still a mess but no dog size droppings to step in when going to feed and water them

Back
Top Bottom