Why raise Bantam chickens?

Because they are so cute and friendly and because you can have more in a given area
wink.png

First, I have both and show both the bantam and standard varieties, as well as turkey and geese. One thing about bantams is their ability to eat bugs. They are quick and a small flock of bantams can rid a yard of grasshoppers quite fast.

As others have said, they are less messy than their standard counterparts. They also are able to avoid preditors easier. If people want to have a chicken to mill around the yard and look nice, eat little and does not create a mess, then bantams are a way to go. If they want meat and eggs, then the stardard is the way to go.

I love the bantams. Especially bantam varieties of layers like orpingtons and barred rock and araucana. I could only have 2 or maybe three standards in my yard but I can have a small flock of 5 bantams. They are pets. I enjoy the eggs, love the variety of personalities, color etc. Mine have to be kept quite clean, out of respect for my very near neighbors, and are in an aviary type coop.

I agree that if I lived in the country with much more space, or my kids were still small and I was attempting to feed a larger family and needed the larger eggs the "bantam" factor would be much less appealing and I would probably have standards. I love that my bantams are so easy to pickup though.

Last edited:
I've often wondered that too,, but out there watching the little guys this morning I just love having them around. I don't mind breaking 2 eggs instead of one, I've figured out the ration when the baking too. I like my big girls, but the little ones have so much personality in such a little body!

Forgot to add I saw this thread just as I was reading this article!

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/3/3-2/bantam-breeds.html

Last edited:
My first flock (20 years ago) was all mixed Standards. I was living on 75 acres on a dead-end road so they had plenty of free-ranging room to run around on.

After deciding to get back into chickens in 2007, I opted for Bantams as we only have 2 acres of mostly hillside here and their smaller size makes them perfect for what available flat land we have in the yard (as far as coops and runs are concerned).

I love using their eggs for baking as they are mainly yolk. I made up 2 trays of Deviled Banty Eggs for our family reunion last summer and they were a huge hit because most of my family had never seen small eggs before.
gig.gif

Another reason is that it's just the 2 of us so the smaller eggs work great for us. When the girls are laying good, I always have extras to pass along to friends and neighbors.

Dawn

Most people use them for show, and they are a great starter bird for younger children because they are so friendly and easy to handle.

I have found that my bantams are just so loveable and are very good egg layers. I love my bantys!!

As many have already said, we are starting to raise them for my kids to show. I have a 9 & 6 year old that would not be able to handle the LF at the fair. LF are my first love, but I have to say that the little banty "mini-chicks" are dang cute! I have 19 bantam eggs in the 'bator at this very moment!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom