Should I get chickens?

Chickens are individuals. Some are more docile/friendly while some are more flighty. Some are more food motivated than others. Some are more dominant/aggressive than others. Breeds will have tendencies, but not all will follow the rule.

For example, I've had 3 Buff Orpingtons, generally a friendly breed, but one of mine is very flighty and doesn't like to be touched even though I've raised them all the same. The point is that you can get friendlier breeds, do a good job of raising them and you will still likely only have some that are really friendly.

Diapers and leashes are too much to ask of chickens. More realistic is:
  • They will run to you when you come out to check on them as they think you may have food.
  • Some of them will let you pet them.
  • A few of them will either jump in your lap when sitting near them or allow you to pick them up into your lap.
  • Watching their antics is one of the best part of keeping chickens. If one gets a big juicy bug, the others will chase her all around trying to steal it. Sometimes you may find two crammed into a favorite nest-box trying to lay eggs at the same time, etc.
Understand that chickens are flock animals. Keeping just one is cruel and it won't be happy. Three is a reasonable minimum.
Thank you for this! I agree a lot with your statements! I am planning on getting three btw. Also, on the chicken antics, when we used to give them bugs, they would hold it high above their head and chase each other before eventually losing the bug:lau

Some chicks will probably be more inclined to stay close, others will wander as soon as permitted. Best to only allow them out in a secure, confined area to ensure that no one bolts and gets lost, until they're bigger and harder to lose track of.
Awesome! But when they are adults, do they stay that way? Or will they all eventually allow me to stay close to them while they wander?

Hello guys!
I am very conflicted on whether or not to get baby chicks. I used to love them so much when I was a kid, but now, a couple years later, I was thinking about getting more. I want to raise them as pets and hope they will be as friendly as possible, but I tried that with quail, but stressed them out when I tried to handle and pet them. Will this happen with chickens? I want to be able to call to my chickens to come to me, pet and pick them up, possibly leash train one, and cuddle with them occasionally inside with a diaper. Is all of this reasonable? There are so many things I want to do with them, but I am worried that they will not be the right fit for me and that I will stress them out/lose interest.

Thank you guys so much :)
if you want to do that, you should start handling them young, and see if you can litter box train them.

in terms of breeds, Plymouth Barred Rocks are generally nicer, even the roosters sometimes, whereas Silkies are good for hatching lots of eggs, and at least in my experience, both Australorps and Americaunas are long lived, reaching between seven and twelve years, compared to the four to eight years of some other breeds, and the two to three years and obvious weight related and genetic issues of the Cornish Cross, or "Broiler bird."

if you want to do that, you should start handling them young, and see if you can litter box train them.

in terms of breeds, Plymouth Barred Rocks are generally nicer, even the roosters sometimes, whereas Silkies are good for hatching lots of eggs, and at least in my experience, both Australorps and Americaunas are long lived, reaching between seven and twelve years, compared to the four to eight years of some other breeds, and the two to three years and obvious weight related and genetic issues of the Cornish Cross, or "Broiler bird."
Got it! I think I won't be able to litter box train them, but I will handle them young! Thanks!

Based on my experience, gently handling them young definitely helps them to become more acclimated. You will also learn early which individuals are more likely to become friendlier adults.

Some will be more comfortable with the handling. Some will want to get back to the brooder and their friends immediately. That behavior is likely to continue into adulthood.

Hello guys!
I am very conflicted on whether or not to get baby chicks. I used to love them so much when I was a kid, but now, a couple years later, I was thinking about getting more. I want to raise them as pets and hope they will be as friendly as possible, but I tried that with quail, but stressed them out when I tried to handle and pet them. Will this happen with chickens? I want to be able to call to my chickens to come to me, pet and pick them up, possibly leash train one, and cuddle with them occasionally inside with a diaper. Is all of this reasonable? There are so many things I want to do with them, but I am worried that they will not be the right fit for me and that I will stress them out/lose interest.

Thank you guys so much :)
It really depends on the breed. Silkie hens are super nice, along with Easter eggers. I have two and the ee chicks are the sweetest things ever

You should spend time with them every day
And letting them eat from your hand is a good start, they'll trust you more
I read a post yesterday from a gal trying to tame up her young flock so nightly goes out and sits in the coop with them. Whatever works, but yep, spending time with them is key!

Awesome! But when they are adults, do they stay that way? Or will they all eventually allow me to stay close to them while they wander?
Some will always be more adventurous or independent, others won't mind sticking closer to you. But as adults, I find that most hens, even ones that don't like being handled, have no issue with you sitting, standing or walking very close to them, and they'll often follow if you walk away from them (which makes it tough when I try to leave them foraging in one spot, then go to take something to the trash can... I turn around and half the birds are behind me!)

Back
Top Bottom