Why raise Quails?

I keep button quail to keep as cleaners in the aviary. They help turn the flooring, eat insects and seed that has been dropped. About every 3-4 months I will incubate a tray of eggs giving me about 60-70 chicks. When the chicks are a few weeks old the parents are sold and the chicks are moved into the aviary and put to work. Sometime I will do a incubator run because the local demand is high enough that its worth the effort but it can be a lot of work for pocket change.
buttons are small and cute. They look there best at about 2-3 months old at which point they start to over breed leading to feather damage. They are the worst when it comes to killing themselves so one minor mistake can lead to a pile of dead quail. Once laying its impossible to get them to stop and there eggs are to small to eat so there not a idea bird. They do come in lots of colors so that's a bonus.

I have used corntix in the past and they are a slower maturing bird that do very well in the aviaries and they also turn the flooring over better than the buttons. The eggs and birds are easier to sell and the market price is more stable than buttons. Like all quail they need the correct mix of males to females. I may change back to cortnix in the future

Bobs are terrible in large aviary's they tend to be more skittish and fly around which is annoying. They are also way more violent to each other and a possible hazard to fledging birds. On a good note they tend not to kill themselves. They are very slow growers and they are worth more than the cornix when sold. I will never try bobs again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom