Why soy free?? (And the effects of soy)

Farming is a business, if you don't make profitable decisions then your business will fail.

True. There is also more than one way to make a profit. Joel Salatin practices one way that is different than most. He is very profitable. I highly recommend his book "Everything I want to do is Illegal".​

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

The RR1 Patent expires soon so saving of RR seed may occur in the future.

Jim

Do you think they have a RR2 chemical ready too? One that will take out the RR1 seed?? (does that make sense?) It would be bad business if they didn't.

Oh ya, I thought I better mention soy again... SOY (there, we are back on topic :) )​

Quote:
Oh, that's right .... he does those investigations, doesn't he? He has a program on Wednesday nights, that are very interesting (so my DH tells me, I have never seen them). I wonder if he has done one on this topic? Hmmm ...

Quote:
True. There is also more than one way to make a profit. Joel Salatin practices one way that is different than most. He is very profitable. I highly recommend his book "Everything I want to do is Illegal".

While I disagree with many of Mr. Salatin's thoughts on agriculture I whole heartedly agree with his desire for diversification in a farming operation!

Far too many of the farmers that were 'run out of business by Monsanto' refused to diversify their operations. It was easier for them to get a non-farm job then complain about the big bad corporation rather than taking their destiny into their hands. I have close friends in that boat and it is a shame given their talents.

Diversification can come in many forms for a modern farmer for some farmers that it is custom crop planting and harvesting, others is it livestock. I have some friends that have diversified into trucking grain while our diversification is having hay along side our row crop operation coupled with a feed store.

Jim

Quote:
True. There is also more than one way to make a profit. Joel Salatin practices one way that is different than most. He is very profitable. I highly recommend his book "Everything I want to do is Illegal".

He is more then very profitable. Show me a conventional farmer that is making $3,000 per acre like he is!

Quote:
Do you think they have a RR2 chemical ready too? One that will take out the RR1 seed?? (does that make sense?) It would be bad business if they didn't.

Oh ya, I thought I better mention soy again... SOY (there, we are back on topic :) )

They RR2 gene confers resistance to Glyphosate jsut as the RR1 gene does however they are placed at different positions in the genome. Monsanto claims the different position allows for better yielding soybeans. Some research I reviewed showed a 11 bushel advantage in RR2 soybeans compared to their RR1 sisters.

I know that Monsanto is encouraging everyone to move to the RR2 technology, but with the patent expiration there will be much RR1 seeds sould and saved. However, the seed companies probably won't use the RR1 gene in their best yielding soybeans.

Jim

Last edited:
Quote:

He is more then very profitable. Show me a conventional farmer that is making $3,000 per acre like he is!

I have two customers that raise only pigs, nothing else. They own 10 acres on which they have two barns that house a total of 10,0000 pigs at a time which equates to 22,000 pigs marketed per year. They have cleared an average profit the past 4 years of $11 per pig which equates to $242,000 per year or $24,200 per acre.

Jim

Then again, rumors out of the Christensen Farm's barns are losses the last year of close to $40.00 a head. They raise MILLIONS of hogs a year through their barns...
"Swine flu" kinda killed the market in '09

ETA: I found some press on the subject.

Rumors abound about livestock red ink

Gene Johnston
Successful Farming magazine Managing Editor

4/10/2008, 8:50 AM CDT

The rumor mill is cranking up in the livestock industry. With the incredible run up in feed costs in the last two years, people are beginning to wonder who's going to survive the red ink.

Many of the questions will surround the swine industry, where there aren't many feeding options other than corn and soybean meal. Purdue University economist Chris Hurt stands by his prediction that this will be the worst year in history for pork producers. Hog prices probably won't dip to $10 per hundredweight like they did for a short while in 1998, but the sustained combination of corn over $5 a bushel and live hog prices in the $40s will lead to $30 per head losses or more. That could give a $3 billion hit to the industry this year alone.

(I have no true numbers, just talk from employees to base that figure on)
(also keep in mind, 20 years ago the Christensen brothers had a business plan and a small loan from their dad. They are now worth billions and are nationwide)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom