Why soy free?? (And the effects of soy)

Quote:
No kidding! I've been hearing about that cavity-reversal thing. Do you have more info on that? I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Tofu is similar to the fermented soy products, I think. So, not as toxic.

Quote:
No kidding! I've been hearing about that cavity-reversal thing. Do you have more info on that? I'm intrigued.

Quote:

You want to find a source of real fermented Tofu, which can be challenging......generally what you are finding in the market is not fermented.
Natto is a better choice, though it is an aquired taste.

Quote:

Quote:

I will PM you, as I just sent TOFU a list of how....

An organic feed can still include soy. A friend is certified organic and has had a hard time finding organic chicken feed that does not include soy. We're starting to get customers asking us to eliminate it. Others refuse to buy the eggs now.

My last baby was born in a 7th Day Adventist hospital. I had no option but to eat their 'soy' meats. I was never so sick in my life! My body did not like it.

I'm going to try to figure out a way to eliminate it from our chicken's diet. Personally, I think it is future bad news.

Quote:
The 'problem' isn't eating tofu or soy sauce. The problem is soy being used as a thickener or a filler in a lot of different foods, feeding babies soy formula, feeding animals who should be eating grass large amounts of soy and so on. Basically, all of the uses for the cheap soy that modern industry has given us.

It's amazing how attitudes change over the years. I can remember when soy beans were very popular because of their health benefits and high protien content. All the health food stores and co-ops were pushing them.
Have things really changed that much in 10 years? Any food product when consumed in excess can be bad for you and lab rats fed just soy beans are going to show adverse side affects.

Quote:
the problem with soy is similar to the problem with corn: namely, that it isn't being used correctly anymore. we've lifted it out of it's cultural knowledge and think we understand it, but we don't. just like corn was making people sick (pellagra) until we realized that indigenous Americans used nixtamalization to free the niacin in it, we're realizing now that soy needs a particular process to be beneficial and safe. the problem now is that GMO soy, which carries a lot of it's own problems, is the basis of SO much that we consume, directly or indirectly, and almost NONE of it is processed correctly.

most of the studies into soy's health benefits are done on groups that eat soy correctly, NOT on people subsisting on a diet of industrial soy.

Soy is agricultural waste really. It is used a cover crop. Once it does its job (fix nitrogen in the soil) it isn't needed. Instead of just plowing it under, now they make money selling it for feed. The agriculture and snack food industries convinced us to pay for the privilege of eating their garbage.

Over this winter I have been running a little experiment with my feed. Here in NM I can get organic layer, grower and feed. All of them contain soy. When I talked to the guy who mixes he was fine with mixing a soy free mix for me, but felt that it would be harder to bring the protein level up enough. I had a friend who tried the soy free version on her farm and said getting the protein level up high enough was a real PIA. Her method was to get beef bones and scraps from the local butcher. I thought that was a bit time consuming for my tastes. Still, soy is something that I am trying to weed out of our diet. So, this winter I have been feeding the whole grains that I can get from this supplier next to his mix. Basically, I put into a feed hopper equal parts of corn, wheat, triticale, oats, milo and sunflower seeds and put that hopper next to the "layer" hopper. The birds will eat from the whole gains over the mix at about a 2:1 ratio with very little waste. They also have free access to alfalfa, which they love and which is a good green for them with a higher protein content. To date, unless it's extremely cold (11 degrees was a touch nippy), I am get about 5.25 eggs a week from the cochins and barnevelders. Today I added ground up seaweed and dried anchovies to the whole grain (about an ounce of each to the 3 gallon mixer bucket). My goal is to add trace minerals and protein. My next step is going to be to sprout grains and add that as an option. I can foresee moving to an all whole grain diet in the future. It will give me more choice over cost/content.

Back
Top Bottom