Why you shouldn't raise incredibly friendly chickens.

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
A hen that runs up to you and allows you to approach her and pick her up. A rooster that likes children and doesn't attack strangers. A chick that doesn't scream bloody murder when held by little children. It sounds fantastic; like a dream come true; like the perfect pet.
But for the love of chickens don't do it.
And here's why you shouldn't.

Introduction
While an incredibly friendly chicken sounds fantastic, there are drawbacks. I used to house three Buff Orpingtons for my friend who lived in the city. We both knew she couldn't keep chickens where she lives but she and I both wanted her to have some so I let her buy three pullets (which was supposed to be two, but I digress) and she raised them for 6 weeks before I took them in at my place to live with my pullets who were only a month older.
My friend, we'll call her Z, handled these three pullets along with her younger sister daily. Which is fine; I'm not here to spit on handling chicks daily. But Z handled them for hours. She watched movies with them, carried them around the house with her, took them out to her garden while her mom weeded so that they could get grass and worms. She also had them out by the tires of cars and out by her cats.

A danger to themselves
Like I said above, Z would take these chicks out to eat worms while her mom gardened. Her mom would invite them over to eat the worms out of her hand. The chicks would also come over while tools such as hoes were being used.
This unmindfulness around tools turned into a real issue for me when I was digging out the ground for my greenhouse. The number of times that her chickens ran over to look for worms was ridiculous. The worst part? They would look for them RIGHT where I was hoeing the ground. I darn near chopped their heads off a dozen times!
These birds have no sense of danger. I swear.

What's a predator?
Another problem with these chicks is that they had ZERO predator sense. Being raised in a neighborhood full of barking dogs and being allowed to roam right in front of house cats, these chicks didn't recognize a predator at all. My own indoor/outdoor cat could walk right up to them outside and the chicks couldn't care less.
Before they were even 2.5 months old I was down to 2 chicks. The third one? Taken by a cat. And yes, she didn't even know what hit her until it was too late.
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I still have the remaining two BO hens. At this point in their lives, they regularly get into trouble. Every morning they fly the coop to be outside with people. Every morning they are on our front doorstep. Every. Morning. They go under the car, behind the wheels as we are trying to leave. I, at least, strongly believe this is because they were raised around cars. The driveway where they were raised was backed right up to a busy street so they also had no qualms about moving cars. Or the streets. One of the hens would cross the 55mph highway in front of our house.
2.5 weeks ago the wisest (which wasn't much) of the two gets taken by a fox. I wasn't awake when this happened but according to my parents' account, the fox was running in plain view and the hen he took didn't really seem to know that she was in trouble. She stood there, a sitting duck and didn't panic until the fox already had her.
Yesterday the fox returned and took the remaining BO hen. Out of 17 hens to choose from.
I have only had 3 predator attacks in the last 2 years and each time the victim was one of these oblivious Buff Orpingtons. Out of 18 available birds to choose from over 2 years to me, this speaks volumes.

The point?
When you raise a chicken to be so incredibly friendly that they can be approached by anyone or anything, they like to approach everyone, and they are raised around cats and dogs you are putting that bird in danger.
They grow up to be so unaware of what a predator is that they let one approach them. They have no sense of self preservation.
In short, that bird becomes a sitting duck for the reaper. What's worse is that if you have a few like this they endanger the rest of your flock.
Thanks to these chickens I now have a fox problem that for 5 YEARS I didn't have. I have NEVER lost one of my own hens to a wild predator. Never. I had my own dog attack mine twice but that was purely my fault, not the chickens.

2 years. 19 hens. 3 predator attacks. All of them on the BO. And I have two disabled chickens in that flock.

Please consider the consequences of conditioning a chicken to be incredibly friendly.

Yes ! Thank you!!!!!

I was just saying to my husband how we can't even keep the young roos we picked up from well intentioned humans, who spent so much time handling them that now they ask to be picked up, run over to us for pets and have no danger response to anything. So ridiculous. My kids think it is awesome but I've informed them there names are now Nugget, Curry and Butter. They will be delicious meals.

We lost 4 hens last fall because their previous owners handled them so much that when the predators came, they just squatted down and didnt put up a fight.

I had a BO that was taken by a coyote. I then decided that the breed is more vulnerable than other breeds. They have been called 'the golden retrievers of the poultry world'. She was more trusting than the other breeds I had, all raised the same way. Handled as chicks, but not as adults.
Last year, wanting an ideal free range flock, I got brown leghorn chicks and never handled them beyond necessity. At about 11 months, one of them was taken by a coyote too. So much for my theory.
So I have no conclusions. I have been letting my 10 chickens free range 3 hours every evening for months now without incident, there is a BR, an SS, 3 leghorns, a Sebright, a D'Uccle, and 3 Spitzhaubens, one of which is a watchful cockerel. I don't know what to recommend, but anyway, it's all food for thought...
Thanks for starting this discussion.

Last edited:
Thank you for this, food for though. I was feeling guilty that my second round of chicks I'm raising didn't get as much attention as my older ladies and are now more skittish around me (6 Speckled Sussex*, 6 California Whites and 12 Guinea fowl --*supposed to be 5 females and 1 roo, but one of the little ladies just popped a huge red comb at 5 weeks old. lol AND another one of the "girls" has a mildy suspicious comb*sigh*) ANYWAY... our older ones, 3 Speckled Sussex and 4 EEs are friendly, and come to check out anyone who visits. 2 of the EEs squat and love to be picked up --interestingly, they are the two top of the pecking order hens.

This is an interesting discussion! I think it all depends on how the owners view their chickens—as pets, food, egg layers, etc.—and what lengths they are willing to go to when making accomodations for bringing up their chickens to be extra friendly. It’s definitely for some and not others!

Like @Nutmeg15 said - interesting post! @Cyprus - do you free-range full time? My town prohibits free-ranging so I'm wondering what issues might crop up with uber-friendly chickens in a full time coop/run set up.

This is my first time raising chickens - our pullets are probably somewhere between uber-friendly and street-smart.
I used to free range full time. Now they only get let out after 10 am.

I agree with most of what Cyprus says, but as far as tool use, I'm not so sure. My two oldest hens (New Hampshires) will come running whenever they see a shovel, rake, or pitchfork in my hand and jump right in to whatever I'm doing. Especially the dominant one. I've almost speared her several times. I raised them the exact same way I raised all my other chicks (about 25 chicks in 5 different broods over the years) except the first batch, which I admit coddling a bit. All the others have stood back until I finish working, then pounce on bugs. Yet, at the same time, they are not friendly. The same dominant one who gets in the way will try to stay out of my reach any other time.

Back
Top Bottom