Wierd tiny egg

Kitchenella

Songster
14 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Oak Park, Michigan
I have an approx. Year old meat Chicken..She was a stray we found wandering in a park last October. I was told she would be huge, stupid , clumsy and probably never lay eggs. Well the first 3 are true but for the last 3 months she has been laying lovely huge eggs almost daily. Recently she layed a tiny round egg the size of a large marble. I was shocked at the gross mess that was inside. See pictures. One is a comparison of her nice big egg and a normal egg from our barred rock. The other two are the opened tiny egg. Since this one she has been laying normally. Every see something like this?

Peggy

Attachments

• IMG_2866.jpeg
    IMG_2866.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2956.jpeg
    IMG_2956.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 27
Weird tiny eggs happen. They are generally about the size of a quarter. There' a name for them, but I can't recall right now.... maybe "fairy egg"? I might be making that up lol

Anyway, I've been keeping chickens for 5+ years and probably found a half dozen or so over that time. That said, I've never encountered one filled with blood like that. As long as she's laying normal again and nothing else seems amiss, I wouldn't worry.

I too found one yesterday and again this morning… I read it’s normal for a first-timer but the beginning of the end for a yo layer. Mine is 15 m old - I’ve been watching her for illness since she had seemed to stop laying for several days. Pic is of 2 days eggs… IMG_1441.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom