Wild baby bunny rescued from cat, how should I care for it?

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
Hello! My neighbor rescued a baby bunny from his cats, they found a nest of them and killed them all :( but I have one, it's eyes are open and it has a full coat of fur. I put it in a bin with a towel and a crumpled up t shirt, and it burrowed down in as soon as I moved away. The question is, what can I do for it? I obviously can't put it back, so i would appreciate some advice. It doesn't seem to be injured at all. Thanks in advance!

Update, I've been doing some reading at it looks as if it's old enough to just eat solids, so I gave him some dandelion greens and water. I would put him back but There are at least six cats in the immediate area, two of which are my own. Would realeasing it out away from town be the best option? I know bunnies are very hard to keep alive, and I want to give it a good chance.

Is there a wildlife rescue place in your area you could ring? they could advise you even if they can't/are too far to take it in.

Hey everyone! Thanks for the advice! I can look and see if there are any wildlife shelters, but we kinda live in the middle of know where. it seems to be doing well, it escaped the plastic box it was in, so I got the brooder out. It seems like it's been drinking and at least investigating the food, I will have to get some hay soon, it takes a while to get to town. I put a small stuffed animal in with it, it's very furry and I thought maybe it would be comforting? Anyway, not getting my hopes up but I think this ones old enough to be on it's own soon, so hopefully I can help it get a start. Also, I'm just curious, but I read somewhere that you should not give baby bunnies to rescue centers with birds of prey or others with specialties in carnivores. I was wondering if anyone working in wildlife rehabilitation could tell me if this is an actual concern? I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for the help!

I wouldn't worry too much about hay if you can offer fresh grass, especially if it's a struggle for you to get. Also, if you are intending to release it (or have a wildlife place do it) you need to limit your contact with it as much as you can really. Not sure about wild ones but domestic baby rabbits will start leaving the nest around 2 weeks and nibbling solid food but will still feed from mum til about 5 weeks, so you could try offering a small shallow dish of goats milk.
I can't answer that one but if it's true that's pretty horrible, maybe you can ask about their policies when you ring around? :hmm

Those birds need to eat too! The rehab center should be very truthful about their policy concerning this. They should and likely do differentiate between critters to be killed and fed to any raptors they may have, and critters to be saved. ASK THEM!
Mary

If you can find a wildlife rescue, call them. They can tell you what to do. Sometimes they are overwhelmed and they are happy to have you take care of the critter if you can. That is how i learned to take care of baby birds. As for limiting contact, don't worry about it. I have raised any number of wild animals and it really isn't an issue. Wild animals usually stay wild.

Hey guys, sad news, the bunny passed away yesterday :( it was eating and drinking, and was having as little contact as I could, I had the brooder covered too, then It just went. It's too bad, if I had put it outside it probably would have died from exposure.. but it's done now, I will look into some wildlife centers for the future, so I won't have this issue again. I feel bad about it, but I guess the stress of captivity was too much for that short time :(

Back
Top Bottom