Wild Blind baby goose? What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dummy Drqgon

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2021
Hey, so I recently had a friend bring a abandoned baby Canadian goose for me to keep. I put it with two Chinese geese that were about his age. It didn’t take me long to figure out that he was blind, since he was running into walls and was having a hard time finding things that were right in front of him. I already have two adult geese with my duck flock, and I was planning to put these guys in with them really soon, since they are about five weeks old now. But I am afraid my adult geese will attack the baby’s, Especially the blind one since it is more vulnerable and is less likely to fight back. What is the safest way to merge the flocks? And should I clip the wings when it’s older so it doesn’t hurt itself?

I guess the best thing to do is just to keep an eye on them and take him out if there’s any problems. I’ve heard the time to introduce new flock members is around dusk, as they will be settling down to sleep and less likely to bother with the chicks

Imho, and not meant to be vicious, but I'd cull it and never take in wildlife again. Canada Geese are actually becoming too numerous. We hunt and eat them during their hunting season allotted by our state, Maryland. This bird could have given your birds a disease. If you release it, it could pass disease on to others and likely won't make it. You don't know why it is blind, could be contagious.

In the future, if you find an injured wild animal that is an endangered species, call govt services like the Natl Park Service or Game and Wildlife. All other animals...nature takes it's course, leave them alone.

Remember, many animals it is illegal to take in, be careful with birds in particular in this area, as many are protected. Canada Geese do have a hunting season, but regardless, there are many reasons we shouldn't introduce wild birds to our birds.

Best wishes! I love meeting such kind natured people like yourself, and hope your flock flourishes. 💕

Edited to be clearer, haha, wrote the first response in a hurry. :)
Also, edited to say! DON'T CULL THE GOOSE. It's illegal. A non-protected sick bird, I'd cull, but they are migratory and protected. Call the Game Warden, or the USDA. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Imho, and not meant to be vicious, but I'd cull it and never take in wildlife again. Canada Geese are actually becoming too numerous. We hunt and eat them. This bird could have given your birds a disease
I partly agree with this.

If you can, bring it to an avian vet and have them do a physical. If the gosling is clear of any (contagious) diseases, then decide where to go from there. It would need to rely on other birds for learning where food and water is, and would likely follow them by their voices to find foraging areas and such. Even Canadian geese -- aggressive as they can be -- are social animals, and a blind goose needs all the friends it can get.

If it does have a disease and can't be housed with other birds, then I would recommend culling it.

Canadian geese are also migratory birds, and are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Act. Whether or not you can legally keep a wild Canadian goose depends on the laws of your state (assuming you live in the US.) In most states, it's illegal.

If you can, bring it to an avian vet and have them do a physical. If the gosling is clear of any (contagious) diseases, then decide where to go from there. It would need to rely on other birds for learning where food and water is, and would likely follow them by their voices to find foraging areas and such. Even Canadian geese -- aggressive as they can be -- are social animals, and a blind goose needs all the friends it can get.

If it does have a disease and can't be housed with other birds, then I would recommend culling it.

Canadian geese are also migratory birds, and are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Act. Whether or not you can legally keep a wild Canadian goose depends on the laws of your state (assuming you live in the US.) In most states, it's illegal.

Canadian geese are also migratory birds, and are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Act. Whether or not you can legally keep a wild Canadian goose depends on the laws of your state (assuming you live in the
Imho, and not meant to be vicious, but I'd cull it and never take in wildlife again. Canada Geese are actually becoming too numerous. We hunt and eat them during their hunting season allotted by our state, Maryland. This bird could have given your birds a disease. If you release it, it could pass disease on to others and likely won't make it. You don't know why it is blind, could be contagious.

In the future, if you find an injured wild animal that is an endangered species, call govt services like the Natl Park Service or Game and Wildlife. All other animals...nature takes it's course, leave them alone.

Remember, many animals it is illegal to take in, be careful with birds in particular in this area, as many are protected. Canada Geese do have a hunting season, but regardless, there are many reasons we shouldn't introduce wild birds to our birds.

Best wishes! I love meeting such kind natured people like yourself, and hope your flock flourishes. 💕

Seeing this response and rereading my response brought up some great points in my mind, and for the conversation. The vet thing would be a great idea, if keeping or even capturing the bird were legal. I was wrong to suggest culling it, since it is protected in most countries. So, first, contact your local authority for the bird, because you can't cull it, but the gov't can, or will at least remove it from you and get it help if that is appropriate. The International Migratory Bird Act that many countries are partners in forbid you from having that bird. The Canada Goose is protected under this act, whether the particular bird is part of a migratory flock or not (some Canada Geese remain in cozy spots where humans feed them, though they are migratory birds). Here is a little blurb from the USDA about the Canada Goose, and also for Canada.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/downloads/canada_goose.pdf
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/migratory-birds-legal-protection.html

In the future, for any wildlife anyone is concerned about...don't touch, call the appropriate government agency. They know of and work with animal rescues, or will know if rescue is even appropriate. It is surprising, but even not internationally protected animals, it can be illegal in your state to touch or remove them. For example, in a state I lived in, it was illegal to remove critters like opossums or raccoons from your property, only a licensed professional could trap them and remove them.

About the culling, you can't cull the goose, but let's say my kid brought me an injured European Starling. I would definitely kill it, rather than risk infecting other critters or my birds. Any mammal they brought, I'd call Game to test it and take my family to see the doctor. Bringing home wildlife is bad business, though many wonderful and kind hearted people just are trying to be compassionate. <3

Fun fact, it's Canada Goose or Canada Geese, my hunter brother corrected me on that during hunting season this year. I double checked with the Audubon, haha! Canada Goose is very dark meat, it tastes like beef...don't eat that bird, just saying.

Also, edited to say! DON'T CULL THE GOOSE. It's illegal. A non-protected sick bird, I'd cull, but they are migratory and protected. Call the Game Warden, or the USDA. :)
I’ve read up on it, and from what I’ve read, it says if the goose had a disease it would have inflammation, redness, swelling, or crust in the eyes. The goose’s eyes look completely normal to me. I do plan on getting a license when I am old enough. I know it is Illegal to take in some animals, but I’ve had animals that would have otherwise died if I didn’t intervene. I’m not the kind of person to just let that happen, and I have a feeling God puts these animals in my path for me to help them.

I’ve read up on it, and from what I’ve read, it says if the goose had a disease it would have inflammation, redness, swelling, or crust in the eyes. The goose’s eyes look completely normal to me. I do plan on getting a license when I am old enough. I know it is Illegal to take in some animals, but I’ve had animals that would have otherwise died if I didn’t intervene. I’m not the kind of person to just let that happen, and I have a feeling God puts these animals in my path for me to help the
As far as I can tell from the law, there is no such license to bypass the Migratory Bird Treaty, I was referring to license for nuisance animals in various states, which is a totally different issue legally. Those licenses do not allow trapping professionals to take in any animal as a pet, they are relocated only in nuisance and dangerous situations.

Last bit of advice, because I honestly think you seem like a lovely person...admitting publicly that you know you are breaking the law but don't care, is probably not the wisest thing. If you were to get in trouble with the law for this issue, publishing publicly that you knew and purposefully disregarded the law is not a good look in court. The internet lasts forever, screen shots and all. I bet any old person could find out who you are and where you live, and there is a world of Karen's ready to call the PoPo on anyone. Breaking this law by keeping the bird can carry a fine of $15,000 and 6 months in prison. So, I'd uh, be careful about that stuff.

Hope it all works out for the birds. The government does a lot of cruddy stuff, but I do believe this treaty and many of our wildlife management laws are highly beneficial for the HEALTH of our wildlife populations overall. Nature kills animals for a reason, for the health of the ecosystem as a whole. :) Humans touching and moving sickly animals can start pandemics in humans and animals, and we all know how lovely pandemics are. :D

https://fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

text-idx

Those links will take you to the legal pages of our government. Blessings!

The only way it's possible to keep this bird is if you live in a state where Canada geese are recognized as an invasive or nuisance species. There's only a handful of states that recognize it, and most are in the south, away from the Canada goose's normal range.

Call your local wildlife rehab and see if they will take the bird. Most rehabs are don't-ask-don't-tell, and won't call anyone on you when you hand the bird over, especially if you explain how exactly the bird came into your possession (rescuing an injured lone gosling vs stealing an egg and hatching it yourself, for example.)

I’m new to the board but have been around enough folks that work with wild birds for a living including volunteering at a wild bird rehab and raptor center.

In the off chance you live in the northeastern US, you can call the Vermont Institute of Natural Science. They have staff and facilities dedicated to caring for wild, injured birds of all types and they will permanently house or find housing for birds not fit for release if they survive care. Even if they can’t take the bird due to location, they may be able to give you guidance or know of another rehabber.

You have a very kind heart for wanting to protect this little baby and other hurt critters. I struggled for a long time with it myself because I can’t stand to see an animal suffer. Nowadays I have a rule with interfering with wildlife: if the injury was natural causes, leave it be and let nature take its course. If it was human or human by proxy (car, dog, cat) then I try to figure out if the animal could survive with intervention. If yes, I try to find a licensed rehab facility.

I don’t know of a lot of diseases that wild birds might care but I do know many of them have feather lice. I would keep it away from your other birds.

Hello! I just want to let you all know that the goose, Cane, is doing great. She does not have any disease like you all thought she did. she's just blind. if I didn't take her in she never would've made it. She's very happy. Not suffering. I've not had the slightest problem with her. I don't leave animals to die. Nature or not, its a life, and if I can do anything to save it, I will. No innocent animal should be left like that. And I can only hope that if you found a lost, hurting soul you would do the same. This poor animal lost its mother and couldn't see. It was scared and alone. If it were a chicken what would you do? Would you just leave it? Anyways, she's amazing. Gets around quite well for being blind. Lives her days eating grass and playing in kitty pools. She gets along with the other birds and even has a little chicken friend. She's a good girl and she's living a very good life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom