Wild Duckling Found

Lacey1988

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Mississippi
My cousin saved this wild duckling earlier from her dog. She doesn't know where it came from and couldn't see a mama duck anywhere at the pond behind her house. So she's bringing it to me this afternoon. Any idea of the breed?

Last edited:

Unfortunately, this is a common response from them... or that they don't have the capability of caring for a single baby... taking in a mama and her brood is much easier as she does most of the work caring for the babies... whether the mama duck was around or not is moot at this point, this babys best chance now lies with this caring individual... nature is unforgiving...

Plus, wood ducks are commonly bred domestically so once it is grown, there is no way of telling if it was wild or not anymore... I know Attimus' Qbert has a good, happy life and home and wouldn't have if Attimus had done what was 'supposed' to be done...

I'm not one to flaunt breaking laws, but sometimes there is room to bend... :)

Last edited:
Looks like qbert when she was little. Sounds like her too. Doesn't look to be more than a few days old. Took some encouragement to get her to eat at first too. Try putting some nutridrench in its water to help it along. And keep showing it where the food is. I spent alot of time whistling to her when she was little as well.

She also spent most of her adolescence on my shoulder :)

Attimus

A good idea is to get a mallard or call duckling ( a breed that will stay small) to go with her , because mallard derived breeds eat easily and they will show the little wood duckling that it is okay to eat and drink the food and water given to it. This is what a lot of people do to help the baby wood ducks survive if it is alone.

Looks like it could be a mallard but wild waterfowl aren't my specialty.

People in the ornamental fowl section might have more insight for you.

It's very aggressive for a two or three day old duckling; bites and hisses. Also I'm having a hard time getting it to eat. It does drink though.
I'm leaning toward wood duck....

Definitely not a mallard... does look like a wood duck to me, but I'm not very familiar with them... maybe @attimus could shed some light on the subject? :)

Back
Top Bottom