Wild flowers

jolly wattles

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
West Tennessee
We are new to chickens (have our first flock for a month now) and we have honeysuckles along our run but the girls won't touch them. So it got me thinking what if any wild blooms do your hens love to eat?

We are new to chickens (have our first flock for a month now) and we have honeysuckles along our run but the girls won't touch them. So it got me thinking what if any wild blooms do your hens love to eat?
I grow weeds for my tortoises (or at least I encourage them in certain areas
lau.gif
). Now also for my chickens.
My chickens LOVE chicory greens at this time of year. They eat some of the other weeds, too, like dandelion, cats ears, mallow.

I also have 4 grazing frames in the outside run, and grow a mix of weeds/grasses and greens that they can eat.
Greens such as turnip, mustard, collard, beet, etc. (the 'winter' greens), also radish, pea.

Last edited:
I grow weeds for my tortoises (or at least I encourage them in certain areas :lau ). Now also for my chickens. 
My chickens LOVE chicory greens at this time of year. They eat some of the other weeds, too, like dandelion, cats ears, mallow.

I also have 4 grazing frames in the outside run, and grow a mix of weeds/grasses and greens that they can eat.
Greens such as turnip, mustard, collard, beet, etc. (the 'winter' greens), also radish, pea.
Thanks for the reply!I pretty much know about the greens that my hens love to forage but I was wondering about flowers that they may like. Being a southern boy I was surprised they weren't tearing up the honeysuckle bushes. I mean who doesn't like honeysuckle lol

Dandelions are the number 1 lol. Anytime I let them go out in my yard, they immediately zoom on to the yellow flowers rather than the grass.

Thanks for the reply!I pretty much know about the greens that my hens love to forage but I was wondering about flowers that they may like. Being a southern boy I was surprised they weren't tearing up the honeysuckle bushes. I mean who doesn't like honeysuckle lol
Mine will eat hibiscus flowers too

Back
Top Bottom