Wild night at our place tonight 10-19

wyliefarms

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Fowlerville,MI
this is the first time in a long time that we have been gone and not home before dark.

It was probably a 1/2 hour after dark and we pull up with the van to shut the coop doors. In the first coop my daughters find 2 hens from the other coop in there. (that has never happened in 6 months).

So I drive over to the other coop and there are hens standing around outside. Inside the coop is a oppossom eating the eggs that weren't collected today.

My hubby is sick in the bathroom so I call my dad who lives a 1/2 mile away and he comes down and kills the oppossom. We clean up the mess and the 1/2 dozen or so eggs that are junk now.

The kids and I shoo in the chickens but we are missing 4. I head up to the house and there is one by the front door. I drive around the yard and don't see anything else and my dad heads home.

The oldest two stay out looking with flashlights while I get the younger three to bed. My oldest comes in the house all excited she found one of her favorite hens behind the house (where they never go) at our basement walkout.

A few minutes later she runs in saying that there is another oppossom under the feed trailer eating the remaining cat food. So call my dad again and he comes down and kills another oppossom. This one is bigger than the first.

We are still missing two chickens. I am figuring that they are hiding and will be by the coop in the morning. I hope they keep warm tonight in the cold windy night in Michigan.

Will update tomorrow on the statis of the missing chickens.

Funniest thing is there were 4 hens that never left the coop, sitting on the highest roost. They had their heads cocked looking at the oppossom but weren't budging, not even with gun fire!

Boy that was sure a close call...Glad there was no carnage other than eggs...I'm sure if the rest were hiding then the last ones are too probably. Just hope they don't get too chilled tonight...I know we have a frost advisery tonight so must be getting freeze advisary up there

Oh, I'm glad that most of your chickens are ok. Hoping that tomorrow the missing chickens will find there way home. That sure was a scary thing to come home to!! Keep us posted!

The 2 older hens were waiting by the coop this morning, just as I predicted.

I am figuring that the egg production will go down for a few days due to the commotion.

I am planning on watching to see if we have any more varmits tonight, if it isn't raining:D

it must've been something in Michigan this week! i am sure glad your chickens were okay!

hug your girls (the human ones and the chickens too, if you like for me!)

Back
Top Bottom