Wild turkeys infesting my flock

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
Our area is really overridden by wild turkeys who are riddled with parasites and ticks. Our flock is free rage and so their paths cross often. I recently found mites in our coop which I highly suspect is from the turkeys. I can address the mite issue but how can I prevent the turkeys from re-infesting my flock? Any thoughts on how to deter turkeys that won't affect my flock?

Mites can come from any wild birds. I don't think you can avoid them 100%. I think all you can do is either fence your turkeys or start hunting the wild ones during the appropriate seasons.

Also providing an appropriate area to dust bath can help.

Guineas eat tics and forage over a larger area than chickens but are very noisy.I wouldn't advise you getting any if you have close neighbors but its one of the biggest reasons people keep them. Wild turkeys get tics the same place as yours, mother nature.Providing adequate dust bathing areas for your chickens will prevent tic infestations

Guineas eat tics and forage over a larger area than chickens but are very noisy.I wouldn't advise you getting any if you have close neighbors but its one of the biggest reasons people keep them. Wild turkeys get tics the same place as yours, mother nature.Providing adequate dust bathing areas for your chickens will prevent tic infestations
should I add permethrin dust to the dust bathing area?

should I add permethrin dust to the dust bathing area?
I have never personally added any dust to the dust bath area. I think if they are truly infested it might be worth dusting or spraying the birds, but with turkeys being so strong and hard to handle not sure if that's doable or not. Do they roost in a shed?

Back
Top Bottom