Will a broody hen raise chicks?

Hi -- I have a hen on eggs -- when they hatch do I have feed in the area for them right away or not for a day or 2. I have water in a feeder for chicks with marbles so they do not drown. I have a feeder with food in it but I do not know when to put that in. Please help me as this is my first time with a hen hatching her eggs. Never did this before.

Hi -- I have a hen on eggs -- when they hatch do I have feed in the area for them right away or not for a day or 2. I have water in a feeder for chicks with marbles so they do not drown. I have a feeder with food in it but I do not know when to put that in. Please help me as this is my first time with a hen hatching her eggs. Never did this before.
goodpost.gif

Ya know that is a good question you asked but first you did right with the water
this is where most chicks pass away in the cold water ....
having good chick starter feed is good but keeping momma in a coop is just great for the first
couple of weeks for safety ....

When my broody hens have hatched eggs, they were pretty quick to feed the chicks. I kept food and water right near her, since she didn't get off the nest for about 4 days after the first egg hatched. She would get water in her mouth and chirp to the chickies and they would come over and drink the drops from the end of her beak. Same with the food. (I put chick starter and layer pellets in for her, but she always went for the chick starter) I would have it available for her now, while she is sitting, if possible.

Can I feed chick starter to my whole flock and still eat eggs from laying hens?

The only question is if it is medicated or not and what it is medicated with. Supposedly if Amprolium is the only thing it is medicated with you can eat the eggs, but I still would feel uncomfortable about that. According to the experts, Amprolium in the dosage in medicated feed is not a problem. But check the label if it is medicated to see what it is medicated with. If it is not medicated, you can feed your entire flock Starter or Grower and just offer extra calcium like oyster shell on the side. That's basically what I do year around since I practically always have immature chickens with my flock.

Thank you for this information!! I have a broody JG for a week now and yesterday we put a one day old chick in with her and she seems to be ok with it. I take the mama out in the am to eat and run around a few minutes, (I think she is still broody). Today, I put the baby in a box until she got back for fear of the other chickens coming in to lay eggs. I keep a little food in a lid and water right near the box. I hope one chick will do as it was like pulling teeth to convince my husband. I will put them both in a separate area in a couple of days when it warms up.

I have two broody hens right now. I am thinking of giving them some fertile eggs.......if the eggs hatch will the chicks be ok as it is already November and getting cooler?
Might be easier to show you than tell you...

This lovely EE pullet is Agatha...she went hopelessly broody in September and we finally ordered her some fertile eggs in October. The little chick, Scout, was the only egg to hatch on October 28th but it sure wasn't because Agatha wasn't doing a good job sitting.

Mom and baby....it's November in Northern Wyoming and she's doing all the work, keeping him toasty warm in an unheated coop. He's thriving - this was taken the first day she took him outside and got a little free range time in. I am having no problems with the late season hatch. Starting Tuesday (11/11) our daytime highs are only supposed to hit 19 degrees but I have total faith in this little 9 month old pullet.
I can't tell you what to do, of course - you know your weather patterns and situation better than I do. But I have been very pleasantly surprised with the resiliency of this little chick and the determination and excellent care by Agatha.

Back
Top Bottom